• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotted Sandpiper ? (1 Viewer)

fotoemin

We've been birding in Turkey for a while and today at Kaldirim, a lagoon lake at southern Turkey, Yumurtalik lagoons, Adana we saw this bird. In our opinion it seems to be like a Spotted Sandpiper but as there's only one accepted record in Turkey, it's a mega. So we want to be sure of its ID and hope this photos are enough to identify it.

Attachments

• DSC_0823.jpg
    DSC_0823.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_8713.jpg
    IMG_8713.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_8732.jpg
    IMG_8732.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 164
When it flew, did it have white on top and bottom of the wings? Did it bob up and down, while standing? Don't know if these clues are 100% either way , though.

These pics are interesting. The very yellow legs, and the flight shot (extent of white wing-bar across secondaries), and short tail. But would like to see more photos...

Hi Fotoemin:

I can't say much RE: Common Sandpiper, having only ever seen one or two in my life. But Spotted Sandpipers should have spots at this time of year (i.e., will not have a retained "basic" plumage) so I can be fairly confident it isn't one of those.

Peter

Though the bird's tail seems a bit short and the legs too yellow for Common Sand, the bird's eye ring is too obvious (and obviously complete) for the bird to be a Spotted Sand. However, the most damning feature in regards an ID as Spotted is that it is in alternate plumage and shows no spots underneath.

:h?::h?::h?:

Please avoid using that incomprehensible weirdo Parkes terminology when dealing with anyone outside of the USA - it's totally unfamiliar in most of the world ;)

It's perfectly understandable, one just has to read the paper or Howell's explanation of it.

I can't help it if Europeans (that's simply a generalization) want to call the green-headed plumage of male Mallards "summer plumage" (or "breeding plumage") when

a) it is acquired in fall and worn throughout winter and spring and

b) in the summer (or breeding season, you know, when the females have youngsters) they have brown heads.

Or, that they call the red plumage of (Red) Knot "summer plumage" but call the gray (grey) plumage that they wear in the southern hemisphere summer "winter plumage."

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back