• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dark Crimson Underwing - influx? (1 Viewer)

Farnboro John

There have been several Dark Crimson Underwings on the pager in recent days but this was still a surprise in the moth trap yesterday morning!

The status is described as Red Data Book, New Forest breeder, resident and suspected immigrant in Waring and Townsend but I know statuses have been changing lately - are they easier now or is there an influx going on?

Photographed on release yesterday evening.

John

Attachments

• 20190726 (20)_Dark_Crimson_Underwing.JPG
    20190726 (20)_Dark_Crimson_Underwing.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 63
Thank you! I was pretty happy. Unfortunately karma retaliated by my car going u/s with the same hydraulics problem as a month ago. :-C

So an influx rather than an adjustment in status?

John

I believe that it is an influx rather than a range extension but hopefully it may lead to the latter.

A soft spot for Dark Crimson Underwing as when I still needed it, I twitched a probable that turned into Britain's first Minsmere Crimson Underwing albeit at that stage it was simply Catacola conjuncta......

All the best

Here's a couple of Catocala from my time in Russia, I wonder what the odds on these occuring in the UK are?

Attachments

• Catocala fulminea.jpg
    Catocala fulminea.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Catocala pacta.jpg
    Catocala pacta.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back