Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bird Books with Sounds!

Old Tuesday 13th August 2019, 20:03   #1
manokel

Bird Books with Sounds!

Hello all!

I am here looking for feedback from bird-lovers who are also book lovers!

I have developed a technology for traditional paper books that have printed touch-sensitive graphics on its pages. These graphics are printed with a special ink which allows the reader to simply touch on them for the book to produce a sound via a small speaker on the cover (or headphones).

I am thinking of beautifully illustrated paper books about birds, which would allow the reader to touch the illustration and listen to its birdsong coming from within the book.

Such a book looks, feels, smells and is made like regular books are, making technology invisible (no physical buttons, no wires, cables etc.).

1) Do you buy books about birds?
2) Would you like to be able to listen to the sounds a bird makes when reading such a book?
3) Does it add value to your reading experience?
4) Would you be willing to pay a higher price for such a sound-book based on this tech? If, yes how much more (%)?

Many, many thanks beforehand for your time! Your feedback is invaluable. I'm available to answer any questions you may have.

For more info about the project visit: http://manokel.com/blink

PS. a more advanced version of this technology allows the book to wireless connect to a nearby screen and show videos of birds or animations of bird-travels around the globe etc. just by touching the page with the finger.

Last edited by manokel : Wednesday 14th August 2019 at 15:06. Reason: mistake
Old Wednesday 14th August 2019, 09:08   #2
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by manokel View Post
Hello all!

I am here looking for feedback from bird-lovers who are also book lovers!

I have developed a technology for traditional paper books that have printed touch-sensitive "buttons" on its pages. These buttons are printed with a special ink which allows the reader to simply touch on them for the book to produce a sound via a small speaker on the cover (or headphones).

I am thinking of beautifully illustrated paper books about birds, which would allow the reader to touch the illustration and listen to its birdsong coming from within the book.

Such a book looks, feels, smells and is made like regular books are, making technology invisible (no physical buttons, no wires, cables etc.).

1) Do you buy books about birds?
2) Would you like to be able to listen to the sounds a bird makes when reading such a book?
3) Does it add value to your reading experience?
4) Would you be willing to pay a higher price for such a sound-book based on this tech? If, yes how much more (%)?

Many, many thanks beforehand for your time! Your feedback is invaluable. I'm available to answer any questions you may have.

For more info about the project visit: http://manokel.com/blink

PS. a more advanced version of this technology allows the book to wireless connect to a nearby screen and show videos of birds or animations of bird-travels around the globe etc. just by touching the page with the finger.
This is already being done by the publisher Lynx who have used a QR link next to each species account, to link to a web page.

https://www.lynxeds.com/product-cate...es-collection/
Old Wednesday 14th August 2019, 12:30   #3
manokel

Thank you very much for your feedback! I assume you prefer the QR solution to the one I proposed, correct?
Old Wednesday 14th August 2019, 13:02   #4
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by manokel View Post
Thank you very much for your feedback! I assume you prefer the QR solution to the one I proposed, correct?
I think it's more elegant, if that's the right word, people who collect books, like me, want it to still look like a book, I think that using QR codes, manages that.
Old Wednesday 14th August 2019, 14:09   #5
manokel

I agree with you about traditional books. The tech I'm describing allows for making interactive books that feel, look, smell like a real book does. The pages are plain paper and ink - no physical buttons, wires, cables etc. A small speaker on the back plays the sounds.

Nevertheless, I take your point about QR-codes. Again, thank you for your useful input!

Last edited by manokel : Wednesday 14th August 2019 at 14:12. Reason: typo2
Old Thursday 15th August 2019, 13:36   #6
manokel

40 sec video of the concept:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvx0...ature=youtu.be
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: