• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdfair 2019 (1 Viewer)

A Kowa BDII 6.5x32 XD with a 10 degree FOV! WOW! I'm all in! Were talking a Mini-Nikon WX 7x50 here for way less money! That is a 65 degree AFOV! SWEET! Put me down for one. Beth, I will write a review.
There is a Russian/USSR 8x30 pair with an AFoV=104*!
Those are the binos with the largest AFoV I have come across, but there are quite a few binos made in the 50s and 60s with AFoV>80* or even 90*. These days only the Nikon WX 10x50 has a comparable AFoV (90*), the AFoV of the Kowa 6.5x32 does not wow me.

I like to hibernate in Summer when it's super hot out.

Honestly, I can't wait for summer to end. It's been very hot and humid here in NJ this summer. Today was another boiler. The humidity made it feel worse. Did a few errands before work and clothes were sticking to me in no time...went to work feeling gross.

I'll come out in Fall :cat:

OMG ! low 30's !! I don't know how you can stand it !!! :-O ;)

Chosun :gh:

Hi all,

I’ve been posting in the tripod section so I really should ask here

Are there any developments in tripods on show at Birdfair?

Hope you all enjoyed it. It’s not for me, too crowded for me.

I'd forgotten to check out Meopta's stand the last time I visited - something I was keen to rectify. The stand was very quiet (fortunately for me) and the big bear wearing a... I mean the most gracious and hospitable member of the Meopta team I spoke to kindly let me have a good look over their top products, Meostars.

I'd planned on looking at their 10xs but found myself picking up the 8x56 on seeing that their top end range included one. I then tried the 10x42 HD - according to them their most popular model, the 10x50 and very briefly the 7x50 (roof).

A number of comments in common to all the Meostars I tried - build quality and feel in the hand seemed extremely good, bordering on superb. Details such as the feel of the rubber armour, weight, balance, handling, and controls (how the binocular opens and closes to set IPD and focus feel) and overall perceived feel of quality were very impressive. The eyecups themselves were excellent, every bit as finely adjustable and even firmer when adjusted than Swarovski's. Eyecups on the demos I tried required a surprising amount of pressure to set, which made them feel somewhat less refined than Swarovski's, but I like that - I sometimes find myself pressing my binoculars quite hard against my glasses and don't want the eyecup settings to change. All the sizes seemed compact, balanced, and natural to handle and the 8x56 in particular was very handy for a binocular its size, noticeably more so than the 8x56 SLC - appearing only a little larger than a x50. The only aspect of this range's handling and operation that I'd express any reservations about was the Leica style diopter, which worked perfectly well but (I thought) seemed not as robust as the rest of the binocular. I felt a more positive click out and click in would have been more in keeping with the overall feel of the range.

Optically they were all impressive - bright, showing very natural colours (to my eyes), clean and showing excellent ability to pick out slim tree branches at long distance and small/tiny targets in the sky. Edge sharpness seemed extremely satisfactory. Field of view was less generous than top-range products from Swarovski etc - a trade-off for the slimmer barrels and lighter weight that made for such excellent handling.

I really liked every Meostar I tried with the 10x50 and 8x56 being particularly good. The 10x42 HD's image was excellent but the easier eye placement of the 10x50 made for an easier and steadier, less affected by wobble view. I went back to the Meopta stand after trying the Conquest 10x42 HD and both 8x42 and 10x42 Monarch HG and felt the Meostars were fully competitive and better in some respects, particularly build quality. Optically the Meostar gave me a better image than the MHG and probably at least as good as the Conquest. Although there is a little less of it (field of view) the eyecups of both the Meostars and the Conquest can be adjusted so that the image fills up very satisfactory - you don't get the feeling of looking through a tunnel and thus the MHG's greater field of view is less impressive than on paper.

These binoculars are in many respects the polar opposite of the Canon 10x42 IS L - products that give off a very apparent feel of quality in how it's built, that handle superbly, made with obvious (and well-deserved) pride. These things are very much high-quality traditional binoculars in the way that Swarovski et al are, and which the Canon product is not. The large exit pupil and excellent handling of the 10x50 and 8x56 make for a very steady view by traditional binocular standards, noticeably more so than the 10x40 Dialyt I'd brought as a comparison piece. But the Canon design is optically in the same ball park (to my eyes anyway) and its image stabilization trumps everything else as far as a steady view is concerned. I suppose some day one of the alphas will combine the best of both worlds, although after shelling out for one the image stabilization will likely be essential for most folks for a good long time...

Next: The Big Tent...

Behind the Scenes at Bird Fair!!

What does Bird Fair look like on the day before the Fair opens?

See the first two pics below which were typical of all the marquees: boxes and litter everywhere, stands looking as if an opening the next day was going to be impossible. Plastic sheeting protecting the carpets from mud. Did I mention mud?
The final picture shows what it was like even before the crowds arrived.

Lee

Attachments

• DSC01138Red.jpg
    DSC01138Red.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC01139Red.jpg
    DSC01139Red.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC01140Red.jpg
    DSC01140Red.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 249
Funny enough, all we seem to have are photos of mud...

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-08-14 at 21.58.39.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-08-14 at 21.58.39.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 198
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-08-19 at 14.57.13.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-08-19 at 14.57.13.jpeg
    690 KB · Views: 140
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-08-19 at 14.58.24.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-08-19 at 14.58.24.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 107
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-08-19 at 19.22.05.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-08-19 at 19.22.05.jpeg
    436 KB · Views: 144
Last edited by a moderator:
As yet I have missed a report about the lecture of Boris Johnsons girlfriend at the Birdfair (it was mentioned in one of the Dutch newspapers).
Gijs van Ginkel

Yep, I saw that. Exciting - were they metal, plastic? Are there any pics out?

Sam

They are plastic and look very like the old ones but there are differences inside and they feel vastly different when moving them between positions and when they are in a position.

Lee

I'm somewhat underwhelmed that the big news in binos for 2019 is a second eyecup redesign for the Zeiss SF.

Perhaps the pinnacle has been reached, if so I am good with that, and very satisfied with the glass I currently own/use.

Andy w.

After having looked over the Meostars to my satisfaction it was off to the Big Tent. I have to say at this point that its position overlooking the reedbeds, the reservoir beyond and the fields with their stands of trees beyond that is almost perfect for evaluating binoculars, allowing detail and colour rendition to be assessed from right up close to a long way away. Also plenty of open sky to search for flying/soaring targets. Performance against glare is (possibly deliberately?) the only aspect that can't really be tested to the extent one would like to.

Zeiss first as I wanted to look at the much vaunted 8x25 Victory Pocket. I need to note at this point that I have no experience with pocket binoculars, so might have been easier to impress than those that do - but impressed I certainly was despite my pretty high expectations. I was able to take the time to tweak the diopter and focus to show its full (excellent) sharpness and its image quality was impressive, full stop (as opposed to inserting the proviso "for a pocket binocular"). Eye placement much less fiddly than I thought it might be, although I wear glasses and could imagine that putting such small eyecups straight to one's eyes might be more difficult. Tiny, effortless to handle and keep steady, extremely discreet ... I really liked it. Field of view seemed perfectly satisfactory to me. The bright sunny conditions probably helped this binocular play to its strengths and I would like to have tried it under real overcast or early/late in the day to see just how much performance falls off under those conditions, but from what I could see it really was remarkably good, a real "mini alpha" (in mulligatawny owl's words).

I had the opportunity to look through the competitor products from Swarovski (8x25 Pocket) and Kowa (8x22 Prominar). The Swarovski pocket was possibly marginally easier in terms of eye placement but not as good ergonomically (the Victory's single hinge working much better for me) and marginally inferior in image quality. The Prominar, also a double hinge design, did not match the Victory ergonomically but optically it seemed every bit as good if not better (really impressive given it was an 8x22). I have to admit I found this thing astoundingly good. Kowa ought to do a Prominar in something like an 7x28 - I suppose it may fall too much between two stools, but with "large pocket" dimensions and a 4mm exit pupil it would be quite something!

Being so impressed with the 8x22 Prominar ought to have prompted me to try the larger binoculars in Kowa's Prominar range but stupidly (especially given that I'd paid particular attention to Meopta) I didn't. Part of the reason for that was that I picked up the YF 6x30 porro and couldn't believe just how good this plastic made in China porro was optically. Amazing colour rendition, really bright, excellent sharpness and overall image quality combined with enough eye relief for me to use them with my glasses - really hammering home the point that porros represent great value for money! I'm not sure how far I'd trust their claim to be waterproof, but I don't bird in the rain. Imagine what a Prominar porro could be! The 8x30 model was also good albeit less impressive, I think the extra brightness of the 6x30 gave it that extra dimension of image quality. The 6x30's only real negatives optically are its somewhat restricted field of view and lack of magnification (although when you pick up a 6x you know the score on that one).

My brother tried the 6.5x BD. He noted its field of view was "good", but didn't mention that it was 175m otherwise I'd have made sure to look at it myself! He was pretty damn positive about it optically - in particular stating he found the edge sharpness pretty decent. His regular binocular is the 8.5x42 SV Fieldpro so he has a pretty good frame of reference re edge sharpness. Kicking myself for not trying it now.

Bit short on time and need to scarper - will resume ASAP.

Did anyone try the Kite Lynx HD+ ? If so, how did you like it?

Just curious ... especially about the little 8x30

I was always intrigued by the original and the new one looks pretty nice just from the photos and specs.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back