• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor Spain Pyrenees (1 Viewer)

leonardo_simon

Struggling to identify this raptor in tree

? Booted or short toed eagle?

Attachments

• 3BBCA432-6A1C-4BFD-9936-C67D2D2D26D2.jpg
    3BBCA432-6A1C-4BFD-9936-C67D2D2D26D2.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 128
The bird does not look very big and seems to lack the bulk of a Short-toed.
The rather cryptic pattern and head markings almost resemble a juv-type Black-winged Kite and the proportions/head shape look small but i would have thought the Pyrenees would be too far North. I suppose Booted would be the local species but it doesn’t fit to my eyes - i can however blame it on the image quality;)

Laurie:t:

It’s brown and beige banding which probably doesn’t come out in the picture

Yellowish brown head

Still sitting there!

Hard to completely sure but it looks as a Booted Eagle, shape spot on and all wrong for Short-toed.

The bird does not look very big and seems to lack the bulk of a Short-toed.
The rather cryptic pattern and head markings almost resemble a juv-type Black-winged Kite and the proportions/head shape look small but i would have thought the Pyrenees would be too far North. I suppose Booted would be the local species but it doesn’t fit to my eyes - i can however blame it on the image quality;)

Laurie:t:

Would help a lot if he /she would move!

It certainly would! I'm very close to saying your bird is a Booted Eagle but perched raptors can be notoriously deceiving. Can't see any other species here and the light and dark areas fit well and structure seems perfect. I believe the dark around the eye is mainly shadow.

Thanks everyone most appreciated

Pretty confident that is booted comparing with pictures on internet

Sorry I can’t give better pictures- will update if he/she flies

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back