• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panama - San Miguelito area of Panama City, female Hummingbird (1 Viewer)

tanagra

Taken in back March. I think it's all the same bird. Ugh..scratching my head in frustration, there's several species in the area that look similar

Attachments

• female1.jpg
    female1.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 11
  • female2.jpg
    female2.jpg
    779.8 KB · Views: 15
  • female3.jpg
    female3.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 11
  • female4.jpg
    female4.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 10
Don’t have a book right now, but how many of those similar species have a long bluish , slightly forked tail?

Niels

I'm thinking female Violet-bellied Humm or a strange looking Blue-chested Humm, not fully convinced by either though

I'm not seeing the bluish here but you might be seeing it on a better monitor. I think there might be a small white tip at the end. Books are sometimes not very reliable because they make face patterns and colors more defined and bolder than they are.

Violet-bellied is possible but I never saw any males in the 2 or so days i was there. When i look up pictures of a female Garden Emerald, mine looks like some of the females that come up, but not others that have a much more bold face pattern such as this one:
https://www.hbw.com/ibc/photo/garde...le-perched-flowered-twig-acnistus-arborescens

another pic, front of the house so possibly the same bird

I'm leaning towards either Sapphire-Throated or Garden Emerald

Some pics on ebird tagged as female Sapphire-Throated show obvious white on the edge at the end of the tail, on underside. Don't see it on this one.

Some female Garden Emerald pics show that strongly defined black/white pattern on the face, this one does not.

Maybe this is not even a female but an immature male? (this was back in March)

Attachments

• female5.jpg
    female5.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 10
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back