• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good grief, what have I done? (1 Viewer)

vkalia

Robin stroker
Today was a bino-binge day, it seems.

I just got back from a very good birding trip (30 lifers, including 3 very tough-to-get birds... wooohaa woohaa) and perhaps that was the catalyst behind my ordering:
1 8x30 Zeiss Diafuns
1 8x28 Vortex Fury
1 8x32 Vortex Fury
1 8x25 Opticron Taiga.

I already own 3 very good binos (Viper 8x42, Pentax SP 10x43 and Minod BD 8x32) and a scope. In my defense, the 8x32 Furies are for my wife. But the rest...?

I REALLY need to start going to meetings. I have a problem (there. I said it).

Vandit

She's sort of interested in birds, but not super-keen. I like the upper end Vortex line a *lot* (in addition to the Vipers, also have the Vortex 80ED scope) and think these will work well for her. If not, more for me... *muuhhahaha*

V.

Your rashness and ebullience may be to our benefit. ;)

I'm very interested in the 8x32 Furies. Please give us a little review. The main thing I want to know: does it really have the eye relief it advertises. Do you wear eyeglasses?

Today was a bino-binge day, it seems.

I just got back from a very good birding trip (30 lifers, including 3 very tough-to-get birds... wooohaa woohaa) and perhaps that was the catalyst behind my ordering:
1 8x30 Zeiss Diafuns
1 8x28 Vortex Fury
1 8x32 Vortex Fury
1 8x25 Opticron Taiga.

I already own 3 very good binos (Viper 8x42, Pentax SP 10x43 and Minod BD 8x32) and a scope. In my defense, the 8x32 Furies are for my wife. But the rest...?

I REALLY need to start going to meetings. I have a problem (there. I said it).

Vandit

With all these many rather sinilar sized models, I wonder what your justification is. I'd rather have got only one but of a higher category instead. Like a LXL or EL, FL or whatever. Or else, an IS model. But, to each his own, of course. To me, all of them being 8x means you simply collect them, probably? And all of us collectors (whatever we collect) might need a therapy every so often. Or else a partner who has a corrective input. ;)

I find the newly issued 6.5 x 32 Fury's very interesting, what with their 445' FOV and 5 element long eye relief oculars. The $299.00 price is very attractive also. I think this is about as close as one will get to the late, lamented and long gone 7 x 30s of Swarovski legend. Maybe I'll get one for my wife!!:king: http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4836
Bob

Last edited:
3:)

It's been too long for that.

On the other hand, I don't think I ever gave *myself* a going-away present.

:flyaway:

Nah, whatever else I may be, collector I am not. I may have more gadgets and things than I really "need", but they all serve some purpose or the other. These binos - like all my binos - will get used.

My logic:
- 1 small optic as spare for client use on our photo tours (Taiga)
- 1 small optic for my personal use or as a beater (Fury 8x28)
- 1 mid-sized yet physically small optic for hiking trips (Zeiss 8x30)

Truly, I dont really need separate binos for #2 and 3. I got both, will try them out and perhaps gift one to the guide who helped me find atleast 20 of those aforementioned 30 lifers: a superb birding guy, who uses some hideously old Asahi 12x50 porros with terrible resolution and clarity

I was initially thinking of getting a Zeiss Victory or Leica Trinovid (Samplelist has some at really nice prices), but I decided not to, as these are not going to be my primary birding glass but are going to get bumped around and abused a bit. Plus, 10x in a compact isnt really for me, and both the Zeiss and Leicas were all 10x25 or 8x20s, which is too small an exit pupil for my tastes.

I also booked a 4 day spa treatment for the wife prior to the start of our diving holiday as a present. That should let me get away with this*. <maniacal laughter>

Vandit

*If it does, the path to getting a 800/5.6 IS lens also opens up for me. <cue more maniacal laughter>

Trashbird, I will review the 8x32s, but it will probably take till the 4th week of March for me to do an extensive review.

I normally wear lenses with my binos, but will be happy to put my glasses on and give them a test for you.

Vandit

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back