• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alaskan honeymoon (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,
I've just proposed and we're gonna get married and we're coming to Alaska to either get married or have a honeymoon or both. We haven't decided on which order to do things yet but we're coming to Alaska one way or another.
Have you got any tips on where to visit and when to visit to combine the wedding/honeymoon with the best birding, whale watching, bear watching, moose watching, and just about every kind of wildlife watching. But mostly birdwatching.
Thanks very much for all info you can give us to make the most of our holiday.
All the best,
Martin.

Hi,

we are now thinking of comig to Alaska in May.

Anyone got any thoughts- is this a good time to visit? Where's best to go at that time? etc etc.

Congratulations MartinB :)

Can't help you with where to go, though. The only thing I know about Alaska is Anchorage and the Aleutian Islands :-O

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

D

Hi,

we are now thinking of comig to Alaska in May.

Anyone got any thoughts- is this a good time to visit? Where's best to go at that time? etc etc.

I'd highly recommend a cruise, especially "inside passage". It's a great way to see a good cross section of the state and there are day stops for short trips to see more of the land. If you're highly active and adventurous, a rail or national park tour may be better.

I went on an Alaska cruise last year in July. I know a good number of people who have gone and have read up on it quite a bit. The consensus seems to be that Aug is the best time to go. However, you might want to do more research on it and figure out where you want to go, then use weather.com to determine what your odds are for decent weather.

Alaska is a huge place with many different climates and ecosystems.

If, no WHEN I go again, I'd really like to get to the Aleutians, possibly the northern Alaska highway and Glacier Bay. One thing that is certain is that I wouldn't likely go in May.

I worked for 3 years in Glacier Bay. I'd highly recommend contacting the National Parks in Alaska and also (at least) Tongass National Forest - in SE Alaska. These goverment agencies should send you great info on their perspective areas. Be honest and thorough in questions and opinions.

Many tourists from around the world visit Alaska (forgive me) on a too tightly scheduled and planned format. And the companies that provide these formats really have it down.

My advice is to go as late in May as possible. Also, to stay at a few lodges, bed and breakfasts (Inns), or parks. My favorite is SE Alaska. Such currents and forests and such - with all they hold. There are also small local companies that do small ship cruising. If you research the trips that the Lindblad company does you'll see an excellent - though very expensive - example.

I'm sure there's much info Online about lodging. If you could find something comfortable, on the ocean, with plane and or boat access to other areas - that would be a dream. As I said - things are quite packaged now. But there's spots with bears, wolves, and whales at your doorstep. Good luck.

Hey,
One last thing (at least for SE Alaska). Everything peaks (Biomass wise) in early July. From flowers - to whales and fish - birds - berries - etc. Salmon runs (in the rivers) will start soon - but the ocean will be filled with the peak of abundance. Imagine England 10,000 years ago. Tongass Forest rents out cabins. Imagine sitting on a rock with 3 whale species, countless seals - sea lions - land and sea otters - 2 kinds of porpoise - peregrines, jagaers, eagles, puffins ----- all ripping into each other, fish, krill, etc. I saw all this stuff in Glacier Bay. You can camp and kayak there. Just have to be hip to the bears and tides and glaciers and such. The Park Service will give you some lessons and warnings. Perhaps not the comfy Honey Moon you seek - but real 'hard core' wilderness. Of all the trips my wife and I did - our best was to a place called Lituya Bay. If you don't mind thousand pound bears ------ it was the wildest place we'd ever been until West Papua. Float plane and collapsable kayak. A few cannisters of food and common sense. Perhaps like England 50,000 years ago.

Also make sure you drink tons of Alaska Pale Ale and eat 'Wild Caught' salmon.

Thanks for all your info folks.

Chris D, thanks especially for yiurs, really interesting as we're not looking for a "comfortable" honeymoon.We're not after a lost in the wilderness adventure but we certainly don't want a package tour. I was thinking of hiring an RV so we could travel at our own pace and also take a few plane and boat trips as well.

Perhaps May is too early from what you have all said. I'll look into making it later. Perhaps June. We like the thought of spring when everything is new and green and wildlife is swinging back into full on action. We also thought May would be good to avoid crowds.

Best wishes,
Martin.

Mosquitos are much worse inland than along the ocean. They're a late spring/summer thing. There are also other biting nasties. As I mentioned - my experience is coastal. Bugs are just part of the game. I highly recommend writing to Alaska's National Parks sooner than later with questions. Try to find a few folks who can give you real up-to-date info. RV'ing does look quite fun - though to stay far away from roads and towns is always my wish for visitors from more populated lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back