• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spanish Rodent (1 Viewer)

Barred Wobbler

We rented an apartment in Ameria in south-east Spain during the middle of May and I must say it was one of the best-situated I've been in. Fronting onto the Las Almoladeras steppes on the edge of the Cabo de Gata park it gave us uninterrupted views all the way to Sierra de Cabo de Gata.

We heard red-necked nightjar on the first night and stone curlews nightly after that. Black-bellied sandgrouse were only a ten minute walk away. Spectacled warbler was a house tick.

This little fellow was as bold as brass. He walked across the front of our terrace one afternoon and investigated to see it there was a way to get through our glass door. He didn't seem to give a stuff about my presence.

The first two photos were taken through glass. My impression was of a very large mouse rather than a rat. The bars on the first photo were over 4 inches (100mm) apart to give an idea of the size of it.

Any ideas as to ID?

Attachments

• IMG_0248 copy.jpg
    IMG_0248 copy.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8540 copy.jpg
    IMG_8540 copy.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8541 copy.jpg
    IMG_8541 copy.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8544 copy.jpg
    IMG_8544 copy.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 66
Didn't look like the rats I've seen. Tail was finer, ears larger and its face didn't have that "rat" profile.

Last edited:
Hi,

Did you consider a possibility of wood mouse Apodemus sylvaticus; it can also live in habitats with scarce vegetation and in sand dunes (despite its name). Also, it inter often to human buildings. That’s what my Mammals Guide says.

I tend to agree rat, but depending where it is Black Rat is an option in Spain, which might account for the excess tail.

Its not a Wood Mouse, they are warm brown above and fairly clean white with a fairly sharp demarcation between the top and bottom. The tail is too thick and looks grotty as well.

John

I can see where it could be a young black rat. They have a different look to the brown rat - more pointed face, large ears etc. - and they aren't always black.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back