• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (1 Viewer)

I've just seen you post on UW re the hide Geoff - 50Grand! - my God, that's a lot of hide. Whereabouts will it be sited?

Laurie -

Hi Laurie, I believe it's going to be on the southeast side of the north pit, I also hear it will be full glass from floor to roof!!
Today I did a visit to Fishers Mill Pool there were 2 Little Egrets, 11 LRP, 1 Ringed Plover, 2 Dunlin, 2 Common Sandpiper and Redshank. Also checked out the Hall Lake walk, one of the hides was closed due to a wasps nest inside, I didn't look in. (The 2 hides there belong to the hall and are nothing to do with the RSPB)The woods seemed to be devoid of birds.

RSPB Middelton lakes

For those of you who are not already aware, there is an RSPB Middleton lakes thread on the Staffordshire forum dealing with the Staffordshire section of the RSPB Reserve and also a thread on Warwickshire birds forum dealing with the Warwickshie side of the RSPB reserve.

Regards, John

For those of you who are not already aware, there is an RSPB Middleton lakes thread on the Staffordshire forum dealing with the Staffordshire section of the RSPB Reserve and also a thread on Warwickshire birds forum dealing with the Warwickshie side of the RSPB reserve.

Regards, John

Unfortunately this can end up being confusing - I am sure no one would object if all news for the entire reserve was posted on one or both threads with attention then being drawn to which county specific rarities fall into. Surely when visiting the reserve a "Staffs" birder wouldnt stop at the county boundary and not walk further south?

Phil

Unfortunately this can end up being confusing - I am sure no one would object if all news for the entire reserve was posted on one or both threads with attention then being drawn to which county specific rarities fall into. Surely when visiting the reserve a "Staffs" birder wouldnt stop at the county boundary and not walk further south?

Phil

Having recorded in this area since 2000 this is the best method, People know exactly where the birds are and if your interested in rare or common birds in other counties then just look at the other forum it is free quick and easy.

Regards, John

RSPB Middleton lakes

Is building a 50 grand hide wise,with the area's history of vandalism?

Firstly I am not an employee of the RSPB, I have birdwatched in this particular area sine 2000, I liked this spot because it was away from the crowds, you can walk miles and the chance of a rare bird as well as a general wetland bird variety.
Since the RSPB take over I give bird records and other Fauna & Fauna records to the RSPB, besides giving details to the relevant county recorders.
I never had a hide or needed a bench, unlike Geoff, however since the RSPB take over, the RSPB have made the area more user friendly. I have seen many retired people here who appreciate the benches and would appreciate the hide if it rains.
Being an open RSPB Reserve people would expect a hide. Volunteers say the RSPB have the money for a hide, but the hide would not go up until September or October, at the same time a bridge is planned over the river to the Eastern pools built by Hanson's, these pools have attracted 20 or so teeenagers lighting fires, leaving rubbish, swimming in the lakes (also naked) I wondered way Geoff was spending more time on this side of the reserve.
No doubt when the bridge is in and the hide is up and birders have gone home, these teenagers will find there way to the hide.
The RSPB are fully aware of these details and still willing to put a hide up, I don't know how much the hide will cost I did here £20, 000 a while back.
Yes, comparing to hides at Kingsbury Water park there will be spate's of vandalsim and arson.
However the RSPB want to encourage people to the area and see their work and hopefully some will donate to their good cause.

Regards, John

I'm not trying to put a dampner on the project but just can't see it lasting long especially if it's full of glass,the reserve is looking excellent by the way.

RSPB Middleton lakes

I'm not trying to put a dampner on the project but just can't see it lasting long especially if it's full of glass,the reserve is looking excellent by the way.

Many Thanks for your valid point made here, I have Print screened your comments and sent them to Head warden RSPB Middleton lakes Nick Martin. So he knows peoples point of view over proposed new hide before it goes up.

Regards, John

Many Thanks for your valid point made here, I have Print screened your comments and sent them to Head warden RSPB Middleton lakes Nick Martin. So he knows peoples point of view over proposed new hide before it goes up.

Regards, John

Cheers John,we have met a few times and you've always been helpful,look forward to the next time.
Regards
Mick

Thats why I said I'd rather have 50 x £1000 hides than one £50,000 hide ( a comment I made on the Upton Warren thread). They would be cheaper to repair and there would always be at least one standing, hopefully.
Since the benches have been put in place I've found they can be just as good as a hide, providing it's not raining of course, see the ones at Fishers Mill Pool and the new reed bed, The screen at FMP looks good but as it has no seats and has limited viewing is not so well used.

RSPB Middleton lakes

Is building a 50 grand hide wise,with the area's history of vandalism?
Hi Mick,
Regarding your comments which I forwarded to Head warden RSPB Middleton lakes Nick Martin, I received a reply from Nick today.
The hide is still going ahead and could cost £50,000 and might include lots of glass.
The design and vansalism factor's are being worked on at the moment.
Any future details will be posted on the RSPB website.

You could volunteer for night security Mick.

Regards, John

Hi John,

Is this £50K hide a bricks and mortar structure or a wooden one? For that money, I hope it's the former!

Brian
Today I did my first visit for over a week to Midd Lakes, still fairly quiet but a Snipe was my first of the autumn passage. Also around were 4 Green Sandpiper, 4 LRP, 1 Ringed Plover and 1 Little Egret.
I was expecting to see some young Common Tern but there weren't any.
On the notice board there was a report of a Stonechat yesterday, anyone know anything about it? This was the first one of the year I believe.
Geoff

Last edited:
Today I did my first visit for over a week to Midd Lakes, still fairly quiet but a Snipe was my first of the autumn passage.
I was expecting to see some young Common Tern but there weren't any.
Geoff

John Harris says he had a juv. Common Tern on the new reed bed pool on the 20th July, I wonder if it bred on the reserve?
The Snipe was feeding on Fishers Mill Pool.
Geoff

Last edited:
Hi Mick,
Regarding your comments which I forwarded to Head warden RSPB Middleton lakes Nick Martin, I received a reply from Nick today.
The hide is still going ahead and could cost £50,000 and might include lots of glass.
The design and vansalism factor's are being worked on at the moment.
Any future details will be posted on the RSPB website.

You could volunteer for night security Mick.

Regards, John

I might just do that,to keep an eye out for this prohibited skinny dipping if nothing else

Not much change from yesterday though a Ruff on the north pit was new. There were 2 or 3 Little Egret and a Barn Owl was still on view from the wetland trail. 2 Snipe were reported but not seen by me.
Geoff

I also do'nt wish to put a dampner on the RSPB's efforts but i feel that less is more - altho the area is looking better all the time i would put up something less combustible and cheaper and concentrate on habitat management until visitor numbers are regular it also could do with some information where the visitors from the moored narrowboats access the area with regard to breeding birds etc (i speak as a birder and a narrowboat owner). I have also been birding there since about 1998 and the RSPB need to realise the potential for vandalism etc. More people visiting should reduce this sort of thing but i would'nt want to see a large sum of money wasted.

Laurie -

RSPB Middleton lakes

I also do'nt wish to put a dampner on the RSPB's efforts but i feel that less is more - altho the area is looking better all the time i would put up something less combustible and cheaper and concentrate on habitat management until visitor numbers are regular it also could do with some information where the visitors from the moored narrowboats access the area with regard to breeding birds etc (i speak as a birder and a narrowboat owner). I have also been birding there since about 1998 and the RSPB need to realise the potential for vandalism etc. More people visiting should reduce this sort of thing but i would'nt want to see a large sum of money wasted.

Laurie -

Hi Laurie,
Head warden Nick Martin RSPB Middleton lakes said in his last e-mail that he keeps an eye on these forums to make sure no inaccurrate information is circulating and he also said he takes all comments onboard.

Regards, John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back