• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Different kind of hummingbird? (1 Viewer)

hudakore

Please forgive the horrible photos but can this hummingbird be ID'd? It looks different from the ruby-throated hummers we usually have. I'm in Michigan. Hopefully you can notice the white spots at the end of the tail feathers. I seems to be smaller and have a longer, thinner beak than usual. It is emerald green on its back and a light gray breast. The male has an orangish-red "bib" rather than the ruby color we're familiar with. Is this something other than a ruby-throated hummer?

Attachments

• hummingbird 2.jpg
    hummingbird 2.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 64
  • hummingbird 1.jpg
    hummingbird 1.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 62
It's an adult female Ruby-throat. I think the color you are seeing on her throat is purely a reflection from the feeder.

As the iridescence on Hummingbirds is not pigmentation, it's likely that you've just seen the male at an odd angle, causing it to appear more orange than ruby.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back