• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birmingham City Centre (3 Viewers)

Nope, see extensive list on post 172. I had mentioned species I had previously seen around the estate of which Mallard was one but not seen from office windows until this week!

I'm sure there was clinking of glasses in the office when that sighting was chalked off!!

Des.

I'm sure there was clinking of glasses in the office when that sighting was chalked off!!

Des.

Oh yes, celebrations like you wouldn't believe. More tricky than I expected to see anything other than these 8 from the windows. Manage at least six on most days. Live in hope though ��

Found a dead Woodcock at the South and City College Campus in Digbeth yesterday. It was not ringed, and looked like it had collided with the building (broken beak). Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't another Woodcock found on Broadstreet some time ago in a similar situation?

I found a dead Woodcock tonight on the pavement outside my office, ironically on Woodcock Street next to Aston Uni https://twitter.com/pmandrews1973/status/674321345073819649?s=03

Dipper Surprise

Bourn Brook Walkway 10.00
I surprised a dark bird that flew past low along the brook making a slight whirring noise as it went past. I thought that's not a kingfisher so I quickly gave chase. I found it further down the brook stood on a rock in the brook doing it's distinctive bobbing. I could now clearly see the white patch on it's chest which confirmed it was a Dipper! Great! I checked BTO and there are no records of one in Birmingham. (Funny over the Xmas holidays I went to Wyre Forest and saw a few and I used to be hopeful of one further along at Woodgate Valley)

I surprised a dark bird that flew past low along the brook making a slight whirring noise as it went past. I thought that's not a kingfisher so I quickly gave chase. I found it further down the brook stood on a rock in the brook doing it's distinctive bobbing. I could now clearly see the white patch on it's chest which confirmed it was a Dipper! Great! I checked BTO and there are no records of one in Birmingham. (Funny over the Xmas holidays I went to Wyre Forest and saw a few and I used to be hopeful of one further along at Woodgate Valley)

Great record - can you give an exact location? Ta

It was DaveJones on the Woodgate Valley thread who said;
Dipper has occured and wintered in the past. Again they breed not a million miles away, and the streams connect.
That's what got my hope up and Woodgate Valley is further along.
He was right!!

I had another look but could not see it. Further down the brook is pretty hidden until it gets to the Rea. I wonder if it will get that far.

I checked out the River Rea where the Bournbrook meets it on Tuesday. The brook is culverted under the Pershore Road and just before the brook would enter the river there is a large door-like structure preventing the two waters meeting. So any Dippers coming up the brook would do an about turn!

Des.

3rd Winter Yellow-legged Gull this morning amongst LBBG & HGs on the grass infront of Curzon Street Station at Millennium Point.

Be careful to rule out LBB x Herring when seeing Yellow-Legged Gulls in Bham city centre - I have seen a few presumed hybrids.

Had a clear (as it can be) hybrid few weeks ago in cemetary area, this recent bird looked pretty good but I guess its hard to be sure.

I have had "good" Yellow-legged Gulls in a similar area (the central reservation of Jennens Road) but also a few greeny legged hybrid candidates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back