• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bartley reservoir (1 Viewer)

Never got any free time until around 3pm and it had gone crappy by me so am going to try earlyish tomorrow.
Cheers
Keith :t:

Good luck:t:

Best time would be mid to late afternoon, since you might get the Caspian Gull that's been dropping in. The Dam is probably best to get close into the Scaup with the Camera ( if lucky), but parking on Scotland lane will give good distant views.

Not that you dont know already!:king:

Live on dam....got 3 "Tufty like" ducks...one brighter with pale white base of bill...is this 2 female and a male Scaup...pics to follow...drab and grey light...just like me.
Nowt in fields and everything too distant with bins.
Keith

EDIT....O.K. back home now....and yet again I needed to look online BEFORE setting out.
Never seen a Scaup before and after a quick look the pale one with light bill base as you all know is a female....so what are the others.
Still not processed pics yet.
Keith

Last edited:
Hi Keith,

What were the head shaped like?

Head shape and the amount of black on the nail(tip) to the bill are pretty good pointers in all ages of Scaup. They should also be significantly chunkier and more robust than Tufties.

Also, if male, there should be at least some grey on the back. This is clearly reduced significantly if a 1st w bird where it may just be moulting through.

Thanks Dave and Snapper ..........
There were 3 ducks together nearer the Dam and they drifted away then flew off to picnic viewing area.....
The 1st looks a female Scaup with white on face and slightly on cheeks.
The 2nd has a little white either coming or going on face and some on back ????
The 3rd just plain ??????

Attachments

• SCAUP 1.jpg
    SCAUP 1.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 104
  • SCAUP 3.jpg
    SCAUP 3.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 88
  • SCAUP 4.jpg
    SCAUP 4.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 102
A few more.

Attachments

• SCAUP 2.jpg
    SCAUP 2.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 85
  • SCAUP 5.jpg
    SCAUP 5.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 106
  • SCAUP 6.jpg
    SCAUP 6.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 82
  • SCAUP 7.jpg
    SCAUP 7.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Yep, you've definitely got a 1st w drk and female Scaup there.

The photos show the features off to nice effect. 1st w drk with grey moulting through on back, female with extensive white on face and pale ear coverts, and both showing less black at the tip of the bill compared to the accompanying drk Tufted. The shot of the female Scaup also emphasises the size and chunkiness next to the Tufted.

Two first winter males were reported today so perhaps there are three Scaup present

Yeh, saw that on the pager myself Phil so was quite surprised to see Keith's photos showing a female. As you say, there could be 3 present.

There's been a few around recently in the mids so birds could come and go(like with the imm female which has been at both Belvide and Gailey).

As I say these were the ONLY things close enough to see let alone get pics of...lol...so no idea if there were any more.

I could tell there was a split of 2 and 1 by the way they were keeping together and the one that turned out to be the Tufted kept further away ..think that was the only pic I got of it.....when they flew it was 2 and 1 again and think the 1 followed and stayed by them again.

Thanks for sorting out which were which.

hope to pop to Bartley next week for a couple of hours in the afternoon, will be getting their by public transport possibly the 002 bus getting off at Genner Lane (newman uni) where is the best place from here to see the gulls from.

Any info will be gratefully received

Adrian

Hi Adrian.........I always find this place frustrating as I do not have a scope.
Things tend to be far away.
Genners Lane is the best place for a clear view and the best for walking and viewing.
The light is in your face most of teh time from here.
The other main places are directly opposite at Scotland Lane with as far as I can remember through the wire and trees....also further along by the picnic tables.

Hope someone can confirm what I have said and that you have a good day there.

Attachments

• Barltey copy.jpg
    Barltey copy.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 82
Hi Adrian.........I always find this place frustrating as I do not have a scope.
Things tend to be far away.
Genners Lane is the best place for a clear view and the best for walking and viewing.
The light is in your face most of teh time from here.
The other main places are directly opposite at Scotland Lane with as far as I can remember through the wire and trees....also further along by the picnic tables.

Hope someone can confirm what I have said and that you have a good day there.

Certainly for the gull roost the bank on Scotland Lane is best location. But a scope is essential.

13-06-14 17:00
I am back in training and found Bartley Res is within reasonable running distance from my house and I can do a lap around it. And of course I can spot a few birds as I go around - this evenings sights - a buzzard toward Frankley Res, a GCG (I note BTO states quite a few have been present) and a few Swallows feeding. I can't quite see what Gulls were in the middle though!! There were quite a few!! (I do wonder if/when I'll ever see a KF!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back