• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax 8x42 DCF WP (1 Viewer)

I've owned a pair of these binoculars for quite some time, probably early 2000's. I bought them (unseen) after reading reviews - in particular a favourable one on Better View Desired, and have been very happy with them, even though I don't use them that often.

A few months ago I was out and really wished I'd brought them with me. Then I realised that I didn't carry them because they are so heavy (840gm). So, after a bit of research here, and this time actually looking at some models, bought a pair of Zeiss Victory pockets, which I can easily carry everywhere.

I don't see too many comments on the DCF WP binoculars on this forum (or anywhere else). I realise they have been discontinued, but just wonder if anyone still uses them, and what might be a comparable pair of binoculars today?

Stan

I've owned a pair of these binoculars for quite some time, probably early 2000's. I bought them (unseen) after reading reviews - in particular a favourable one on Better View Desired, and have been very happy with them, even though I don't use them that often.

A few months ago I was out and really wished I'd brought them with me. Then I realised that I didn't carry them because they are so heavy (840gm). So, after a bit of research here, and this time actually looking at some models, bought a pair of Zeiss Victory pockets, which I can easily carry everywhere.

I don't see too many comments on the DCF WP binoculars on this forum (or anywhere else). I realise they have been discontinued, but just wonder if anyone still uses them, and what might be a comparable pair of binoculars today?

Stan

I used the Pentax DCF 8x42 WP glasses from around the same time as you ( c.2000); also after reading the review on Better View Desired. Meanwhile Pentax anointed them with a lifetime warranty. I had lost the Adorama receipt so I could not avail of the warranty. They were serviced by Nicolas Crista and I would have continued to use them for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately,they were stolen.
While in use they were reasonably sharp and bright with natural colours and had a fairly long eye relief. though they did not have the widest FOV. Basically a reliable pair of glasses without the performance or the reputation of the Nikon Superior 8x32SE which at $475 was $150 more than the Pentax at Adorama.

Thanks for the reply. I can't even remember when, or from whom, I bought the DCF 8x42 - or the price. Fortunately they are still in good condition, so no servicing required. I've just bought the Zeiss 8x25 Victory, simply because I wanted something small that I will carry around without too much thought, and they do a fine job.

I still use the Pentax for checking the bird feeders in the garden.

The Pentax DCF WP series created a stir when introduced because they were first medium priced roofs with phase coating. The view through them was close to that of alpha roofs costing twice as much.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back