• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (44 Viewers)

Just to give everyone a bit of advanced notice one of the Trust's courses is taking place in and around the reserve on Saturday 14th September.

I did have some correspondence with John and Rob last September about the date, unfortunately we were not able to arrange it for their first suggested date and so we settled on this one. I did not have a reply to our suggestion so assumed all would be ok. I also assumed at the time that we would not be clashing with the all-dayer and hope that this is still the case; I have scanned back a couple of pages but although the event is referenced I cannot see a date. I assume it is 7th/8th?

The sailing centre is not available for the indoor part of the event so we are meeting elsewhere. Last year we ran two consecutive courses at the Flashes. This year we are running one longer one. Around midday we will walk round the Moors and then onto the Flashes for later in the afternoon. We may have sandwiches while we watch in one of the Moors hides. There will be 10 -12 participants - all absolute beginners (the absolute bit is the only reason I'm competent to run it!) one leader, and two assistants.

We hope not to distract anyone more than we have to, if you do come across us our aim is to enthuse people to take up birding as a pastime and not to overwhelm them with detail! I would hope to gently encourage the participants' observation skills and to work things out for themselves rather than just naming everything in sight for them!

With any luck we'll eventually benefit from some new members and perhaps some extra hands at work parties.

Regards to you al!

I've been told via email that a Whinchat was at the Flashes today (c14.45) and seen by a number of people and possibly photographed.

Des.

Thanks Des - hopefully more details will emerge

If anyone is down tomorrow can they advise if there is any entry in the Flashes' log book. Ta.

Last edited:
Just to give everyone a bit of advanced notice one of the Trust's courses is taking place in and around the reserve on Saturday 14th September.

I did have some correspondence with John and Rob last September about the date, unfortunately we were not able to arrange it for their first suggested date and so we settled on this one. I did not have a reply to our suggestion so assumed all would be ok. I also assumed at the time that we would not be clashing with the all-dayer and hope that this is still the case; I have scanned back a couple of pages but although the event is referenced I cannot see a date. I assume it is 7th/8th?

The sailing centre is not available for the indoor part of the event so we are meeting elsewhere. Last year we ran two consecutive courses at the Flashes. This year we are running one longer one. Around midday we will walk round the Moors and then onto the Flashes for later in the afternoon. We may have sandwiches while we watch in one of the Moors hides. There will be 10 -12 participants - all absolute beginners (the absolute bit is the only reason I'm competent to run it!) one leader, and two assistants.

We hope not to distract anyone more than we have to, if you do come across us our aim is to enthuse people to take up birding as a pastime and not to overwhelm them with detail! I would hope to gently encourage the participants' observation skills and to work things out for themselves rather than just naming everything in sight for them!

With any luck we'll eventually benefit from some new members and perhaps some extra hands at work parties.

Regards to you al!

Whose Al? ;)

Yes - All-Dayer is on Sat 7th so no clash; hopefully there will be some passage waders and a few lingering summer visitors to provide some variety. Good luck on the day Roger.

Regards to you al!

Can anyone come along beginner wise?

Can anyone come along beginner wise?

This is one of the wildlife courses run by WWT. We've had a full list (of12) plus some on a reserve list for some months now. We do make a charge for the courses. The first couple of hours is indoors, slide show, equipment demo etc.

I think we may have had a cancellation last week so if you want to join us that would be great. Contact Bic Beaumont at Smite farm:

[email protected]

Bic is only part-time so you may not get a reply until Monday now.

I suspect though, that if you already visit U/W, you are probably not an absolute beginner. We are sometimes 'accused' (in a nice way!) of expecting too much prior knowledge; this course will not do that!!

That looks very much like a Great Diving Beetle - normally seen under the water but also capable of flying.

Careful with your finger there - they have a powerful bite, apparently! 8-P

Just checked - Great Diving and Tiger Water are different names for one and the same beetle sp.

Thanks for your response, much appreciated.

1. It was Phil's finger - I'm not silly8-P
2. Obscure common name is probably because I used a large general natural history book - emanated from Czechoslovakia. Now you mention Great Diving Beetle it rings a distant bell:t:

I wondered if this specimen was freshly emerged as it was immaculate and very lively.

#20777 & #20780 (Can't get 'multiple quote' to work!)

Thanks Wheatearlp.
I did believe them to be male and female Pied Wagtails. The point of my post was to contribute to the discussion re possible white wag sighting. That particular female often looks very pale, but has an undeniable black rump - not seen from all angles, of course.
There seems to be a lot of variation in pied wags anyway, but the light conditions have also been very variable recently, contributing to the accentuation of these differences.

This youngster was highly visible yesterday morning and at times looked almost washed out. At other times the black rump was very clear, as was the slightly lemonish tinge on its face.
The two adults were also present.

Attachments

• IMG_3403(a).jpg
    IMG_3403(a).jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3402(a).jpg
    IMG_3402(a).jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 94
Spent a few hours this morning at the Warren. As per last post, nothing spectacular to report.

Photos of some Juvs are a young Whitethroat, Robin and grumpy looking Bullfinch. And a female Southern Hawker - there were loads of Dragonflies this morning which I couldn't ID - a project for next year methinks:t:

I very much appreciate photos such as these as they do something which identification books fail to do and that is show clear, natural photos of young birds in situ.
Written descriptions and comparisons with the adult rarely fully succeed - at least, not for me. They also show 'attitude' and 'stance' as well as overall appearance.
Perhaps nothing spectacular happening is a good omen for the education of the masses:t:
I look forward to more.

I would like to know your timings and reason for willow tit being the Flashes Bird.
We saw the Flashes bird regularly from 8am to 10.15. We know it was seen later than that- a gentleman we mentioned it to went to the hide and saw it. We met him again later which is how we know this.
The key point is that about 10.30 as we were walking past the sailing pool ,we met a visitor and his son who asked about the avocets. We told him they had gone but perhaps they might like to see the willow tit which was showing well. He smiled and said - there's one at the Moors at a feeding station we've come from there.

I know that there was a discussion in the Flashes hide pm. about the possibility of there being 2 birds.
To me it seems that a little bird that has hung around for quite a considerable time should suddenly decide -not so much to leave- but go straight to the Moors feeding station.

Just an observation.:t:
Phil

I saw the Willow Tit at the Flashes at about 08.15. I then saw a Willow Tit at the Moors at 12.25. I knew that Gert was at the Flashes so I texted him and he texted back to say he hadn't seen the Willow Tit but he would have another look. At 13.11 Gert texted to say he did not see a Willow Tit. So based on the evidence available it was decided that in all probability the Moors bird was probably the Flashes bird and until evidence came to light of Willow Tits being seen at the same time but in different places, then only one bird was on the reserve.

Des.

Thanks Wheatearlp.
I did believe them to be male and female Pied Wagtails. The point of my post was to contribute to the discussion re possible white wag sighting. That particular female often looks very pale, but has an undeniable black rump - not seen from all angles, of course.
There seems to be a lot of variation in pied wags anyway, but the light conditions have also been very variable recently, contributing to the accentuation of these differences.

This youngster was highly visible yesterday morning and at times looked almost washed out. At other times the black rump was very clear, as was the slightly lemonish tinge on its face.

Always worth looking carefully through the wagtails at this time of year; not only may there be Yellows but it is highly likely that juvenile Citrines must incur land (incresing numbers seen each year as observers become more familiar) given the increasing numbers recorded year-on-year.

Thanks Wheatearlp.

To be honest I don't always look closely at the alba wagtails in autumn, so I possibly 'throw away' the odd White. Things to check, besides the rump, are the dusky flanks (although this may not be as obvious on the juveniles) and dark 'spotting' in the grey back of females (obvious in the photos your first post).

PS Can GaseousClay from Worcester who is viewing this thread please post on here - its a fantastic username! :-O:t:

:t: Hi Phil, glad you like the name 3:)

Just signed up last night after lurking for a brief time. (since sunday).

Only been to UW twice and the second time (sunday again) was in the flashes hide in the afternoon, I saw something fluttering in the dirt, couldn't make out if it was anything of note but tried taking a pic with my bridge camera.

Any way got the pic up on my computer and being a noob thought I would try identifying the species using the RSPB online identifier. Thought it might be a female stonechat, though now seeing the posts suggesting a whinchat has been spotted decided to post up a cropped image, maybe someone could confirm or otherwise...

wish me luck with posting the image :eek!:

Attachments

• DSCF2151.jpg
    DSCF2151.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 158
:t: Hi Phil, glad you like the name 3:)

Just signed up last night after lurking for a brief time. (since sunday).

Only been to UW twice and the second time (sunday again) was in the flashes hide in the afternoon, I saw something fluttering in the dirt, couldn't make out if it was anything of note but tried taking a pic with my bridge camera.

Any way got the pic up on my computer and being a noob thought I would try identifying the species using the RSPB online identifier. Thought it might be a female stonechat, though now seeing the posts suggesting a whinchat has been spotted decided to post up a cropped image, maybe someone could confirm or otherwise...

wish me luck with posting the image :eek!:

male Linnet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back