• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (51 Viewers)

A new website for Upton Warren has now gone 'live'. This is in direct response to the growing interest in the reserve and to bring together all the photographs, articles and sightings that have been provided to the Worcester Birding website over the past 3 years. More will be added to the site over the coming weeks and months.

Hope you like it: www.uptonwarrenbirding.co.uk

Brian

love it love it love it, great idea,a site just about my favorite patch, a dream come true,well done brian:t:

Thanks Brian.
It's the dog's danglies!
Are you OK to handle the upkeep? Just wouldn't want your other commitments to suffer. I am in the process of migrating my blog to a new hosting environment. Your new site will allow me to shift my blog's emphasis onto my ringing and more general Worcestershire-based activities.

quite a fruitful visit to the moors pool on sat had 3 types of goose(canada,greylag and barnicle)the latter being an upton tick.3 eclipse male wigeon were opposite the hide in a shoveler flock and skirting this flock was the female pintail,3 water rail were heard calling,a snipe showed very well on the bank to the right of the (west) hide,only visited the moors as we arrived with only and hour untill dark,3 cettis were singing,
and still no sign of that bloody bittern,its shown for everybody but me
MB

Spent a few hours at the Moors today. Watched the bittern fly from left to right (into Amy's Marsh is it?) at about midday, at which point I relocated myself to the east hide in hope of seeing it closer...

No chance. However, did see it fly out at about 3:40pm and head over towards the North Moors pool, though again, I couldn't find it afterwards.

Also saw shovelers, wigeon, 2 x green sandpipers, a common sandpiper, several snipes, 2 kingfishers, a buzzard, a sprawk, a jay, a green and gs woodpecker, loads of teal and a grey wagtail.

Wasn't quite as warm as I'd expected. Brrr!

Attachments

• IMG_9089.jpg
    IMG_9089.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
The 1st phase of the new islandat the Flashes began today.The work involved de - silting the channels in front of the hide and then barrowing it into the water to the site of the island.
This should take the next 2 work parties to complete ( depending on the number of people we get) after this the sluice will be closed and when the rain arrives the water level will rise. At present the water is 7 inches below the normal spring level.

On the bird front today a male Hen Harrier passed through this morning.
After the work party the birds soon returned which included 83 Teal, 41 Shoveler and a pintail also a wigeon flew over, waders include 4 Green Sands and 16 Snipe . The BHG roost is now down to about 750. Water rail, Cettis and chiffchaff were calling late on.
cheers john

Spent a few hours at the Moors today. Watched the bittern fly from left to right (into Amy's Marsh is it?) at about midday, at which point I relocated myself to the east hide in hope of seeing it closer...

No chance. However, did see it fly out at about 3:40pm and head over towards the North Moors pool, though again, I couldn't find it afterwards.

Also saw shovelers, wigeon, 2 x green sandpipers, a common sandpiper, several snipes, 2 kingfishers, a buzzard, a sprawk, a jay, a green and gs woodpecker, loads of teal and a grey wagtail.

Wasn't quite as warm as I'd expected. Brrr!

love the bittern photo pete well done:t:,its just those pesky imigrant geese:-O
it has to show soon,when ig finally get it again i will be very happyB :)B :)B :)

John (et al)

The forecast is or strong westerlies tomorrow, but are we still doing the Flashes dawn (notwithstanding over imbibing this evening) breakfast club thing?

Simon

Does anyone have any idea when the work party will finish on sunday roughly?

there is a lot of work to do so possibly 4.30 pm. If you come and give us a hand we might finish earlier. Could do with some help

Sorry for any inconvenience to anyone visiting but the work is essential and always takes place at this time of year

Dates to avoid at Flashes (if you are not intersested in helping)
1st Sunday in each month October to March inclusive
next one is 1st November

John (et al)

The forecast is or strong westerlies tomorrow, but are we still doing the Flashes dawn (notwithstanding over imbibing this evening) breakfast club thing?

Simon

Hi Sy
went Thursday and early start Sunday. So against my better judgement I will have to miss out tomorrow (wifey! you know what I mean)
A lot of the lads are off to the Scillies tomrrow so it will probably be down to you, keep clicking away, winds look good. Although not easterly wind and rain combination as got to be better than the last few weeks. If you do get a goody give me a call though good luck
cheers john

there is a lot of work to do so possibly 4.30 pm. If you come and give us a hand we might finish earlier. Could do with some help

Sorry for any inconvenience to anyone visiting but the work is essential and always takes place at this time of year

Dates to avoid at Flashes (if you are not intersested in helping)
1st Sunday in each month October to March inclusive
next one is 1st November

Okay cool I shall see you there. What will I need to bring as i've never been to one before!

Okay cool I shall see you there. What will I need to bring as i've never been to one before!

Hi Timmy
nice one
we will make you welcome bring wellies and work gloves although I will bring some spare ones. I'll bring squash and biscuits
essential will be your bins as we will walk through the reeds dinner time to check for jack snipe and topically look for aquatic warbler (wishful thinking) there is one at salford priors less than 20 miles away so why not.
See you Sunday John

New recruit - nice one Mr B!

Hi Sy
yes with half the lads on the scillies and you off to germany (I've heard some excuses) we welcome anyone interested and willing to help. Just a reminder to some of the older work party members a few years back we had a Red backed shrike during the work party on Oct 3rd 199?. It certainly paid off that day. fingers crossed for this Sunday
cheers John

The strong westerlies didn't bring anything.
On the reserve today Jack Snipe at Moors, 6 Green Sand and 18 Snipe at Flashes
a few meado pipits and grey wags over head otherwise quiet. All gonna happen tomorrow - ye right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back