• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (18 Viewers)

GREAT PHOTOS & GREAT SOUNDTRACKS OF THE 70s

Love the comparison shots of the Ringy & LRP - I assume this was taken from the lower Flashes hide? Despite the criticism the hide has received, we have some truly great picture, with features like leg-colour, perspective and size-comparison showing really well

Back to the music - I recall vividly "doing the kick" at a school disco to the Skids seminal, Into the Valley - 1978/1979, with an older brother taking me to gigs was a musical extravaganza - Undertones, SLF, Ramones, Siouxsie, The Tubes, The Damned.........Kids today have no idea.......might have to dig out my tartan bum-flap!

Haha I remember one day last spring when we were doing the Sunday roost in the flashes hide and I had my SLF t-shirt on, we all got sentimental talking about the good ol' days when music was music. I went to a punk all-dayer a few years back, there was vice squad, u.k. subs and cock sparrer to name a few, great day, great music :t:

BLAST FROM THE PAST!!!

Birders 'having a Forsters' Falmouth, November 1980.........

Somewhere in there is Nigel Redman, Mick Turton (i think from Wath Ings) and a large, hairy gentleman (usually in a boiler suit) known as 'Big Jake'. Under the gujidance and encouragement of Bryan (Norfolk Thick-knees) Bland, Jake recorded an album called 'Big Jake calls the waders' - i still have the cassette somewhere. He had an extrordanairy ability to mimic wader calls by a series of whistles and throat adjustments.

Well worth a listen if you can get hold of it........

Laurie:t:

Attachments

• ForstersTern_Falmouth1980_NeilAlford.jpg
    ForstersTern_Falmouth1980_NeilAlford.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 79
Birdwatching for Absolute Beginners

Many, many thanks to Rob, Pete, John and Mike for their help yesterday. We had 26 individuals, many of whom didn't even possess a pair of bins, on the course. They left determined to return, couples discussing how they could raise the funds for a serious pairs of bins because they'd had their eyes opened to a new world! I'm told feedback was very positive.

Much of that was due to the inspired and inspiring conversations from the helpers in the hide. Conditions were pretty cold, there may be pieces of Pete frozen to the bench downstairs, but good humour prevailed - thanks.

Unfortunately from the point of view of future disruption to the experienced regulars I have to say that despite all the problems I can't imagine a better site in the Midlands for inspiring people to take an interest in birds! The hide has its problems but those large windows do mean that beginners can be assisted by the more experienced who can move around to help individuals and still see what's going on. I do hope we can find a safe way of modifying them. Is there anywhere within a couple of hours drive that has that facility and such a close view of such a variety of birds? The stunning Yellow Wagtail alone will have stimulated the market in optics!

Sunday 20th May

Today's sightings so far:

FLASHES

2 Ringed Plover, 1 Dunlin (and 1+ through), 7 LRP, 10 Avocet, 1 Shelduck, 6 Coot, 1 Moorhen, 4 Pochard, 18 Tufted Duck, 120 BH Gull, 3 LBB gull, first summer Little Gull, the showy male Yellow Wagtail (giving some tog-tastic photo opportunities), 2 Mute Swan, 19 Mallard, 7 Canada Geese, 2 Grey Heron over, c80 Swift

SAILING POOL
2 GC Grebe, 2 Coot, 2 Canada Geeese, 2 Mute Swan, 7 Mallard, 2 Common Terns (also visited the Flashes)

MOORS POOL
2 Mute Swans + 3 cygents, 4 Oyks + 3 young, 6 GC Grebe, 29 Coot, 3 Moorhen, 83 BH Gull, 8 LBB Gull, 8 Tufted Duck, 1 Dunlin briefly, Cuckoo perched in the North Moors, 17 Mallard, male Gadwall, Reed Warbler containing snatches of Yellow Wag call singing opposite Lifestyles, 24 Canada Geese, 2 Greylag Geese, c50 Swift + 20 Sand Martin + 35 Swallow + 200 House Martin.

What was most worrying was a total lack of Lapwing across the reserve, a sad indictment of the struggles this particular species is going through.

For those too young to remember..............

The Skids were founded by one Stuart Adamson who went on to greater success as 'Big Country' sadly after years of depression and alcohol addiction he took his own life in 2001 :C

A flavour of Big Country in a TOTP of 'Fields of Fire', check out some of his lyrics and distinctive lead guitar, it's haunting stuff..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ0LLM9unmk

Another member of The Skids on vocals and keyboards was one Richard Jobson who has gone on to do male modelling (well, somebody has to!) and much media work as well as being a long serving announcer on Channel 4 and numerous voice-overs.....

More or less a 'one-hit' wonder but that one hit's a classic, close your eyes and imagine you are somewhere on the North Norfolk coast minutes away from a Summer plumage Greater Sand Plover or Ross's Gull with this little ditty blasting out:eek!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXVhh7TKgcA

I do'nt know whether they will link but just copy and paste.

Laurie:t:

Attachments

• stuart.jpg
    stuart.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Jobson.jpg
    Jobson.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 43

What was most worrying was a total lack of Lapwing across the reserve, a sad indictment of the struggles this particular species is going through.

We can attribute this totally to the demise of their ideal habitat, 'the grassland' that has now been smothered by reeds. Although reed beds are a fantastic habitat in the right place. According to the RSPB representative that visited last year, the Flashes is not ideal place (for one reason or another). We have some very stark choices next year before the waders are compromised by more loss of habitat. We have now lost redshank as a breeding species and the iconic bird of Upton could be next. This is problem is not insurmountable and a few tweaks could reverse the trend, but it is not going to fix itself. In the early days of the work party, we carried out much of the work to encourage Lapwing and now 28 years later that challenge rears it's ugly head again. I for one will do my up-most to achieve that goal.
;)John

Many, many thanks to Rob, Pete, John and Mike for their help yesterday. We had 26 individuals, many of whom didn't even possess a pair of bins, on the course. They left determined to return, couples discussing how they could raise the funds for a serious pairs of bins because they'd had their eyes opened to a new world! I'm told feedback was very positive.

Much of that was due to the inspired and inspiring conversations from the helpers in the hide. Conditions were pretty cold, there may be pieces of Pete frozen to the bench downstairs, but good humour prevailed - thanks.

Unfortunately from the point of view of future disruption to the experienced regulars I have to say that despite all the problems I can't imagine a better site in the Midlands for inspiring people to take an interest in birds! The hide has its problems but those large windows do mean that beginners can be assisted by the more experienced who can move around to help individuals and still see what's going on. I do hope we can find a safe way of modifying them. Is there anywhere within a couple of hours drive that has that facility and such a close view of such a variety of birds? The stunning Yellow Wagtail alone will have stimulated the market in optics!

Thanks Roger. Pleased to have been involved. Always happy to have an opportunity to waffle! ;)

Rob

We can attribute this totally to the demise of their ideal habitat, 'the grassland' that has now been smothered by reeds. Although reed beds are a fantastic habitat in the right place. According to the RSPB representative that visited last year, the Flashes is not ideal place (for one reason or another). We have some very stark choices next year before the waders are compromised by more loss of habitat. We have now lost redshank as a breeding species and the iconic bird of Upton could be next. This is problem is not insurmountable and a few tweaks could reverse the trend, but it is not going to fix itself. In the early days of the work party, we carried out much of the work to encourage Lapwing and now 28 years later that challenge rears it's ugly head again. I for one will do my up-most to achieve that goal.
;)John

That at least is encouraging John. I miss them Lappies!

;)John

Getting some cattle in to graze the flashes would be a good start IMO. You know my suggested route wrt tackling the Phragmites. This has been brought up several times with the Trust but no action from them as yet which is frustrating.

Getting some cattle in to graze the flashes would be a good start IMO. You know my suggested route wrt tackling the Phragmites. This has been brought up several times with the Trust but no action from them as yet which is frustrating.

Can you imagine the opportunities for Lapwing if the transmitter field behind the Flashes was managed for this bird. The aerials with the Peregrines aren't ideal but big open grassland combined with roosting and feeding opportunities at the Flashes would do the job. We wouldn't necessarily need to own this or other adjoining fields. A word with adjoining farmers exploring opportunities for environmental grants might well do the job.:t:

FLASHES

2 Ringed Plover, 1 Dunlin (and 1+ through), 7 LRP, 10 Avocet, 1 Shelduck, 6 Coot, 1 Moorhen, 4 Pochard, 18 Tufted Duck, 120 BH Gull, 3 LBB gull, first summer Little Gull, the showy male Yellow Wagtail (giving some tog-tastic photo opportunities), 2 Mute Swan, 19 Mallard, 7 Canada Geese, 2 Grey Heron over, c80 Swift

SAILING POOL
2 GC Grebe, 2 Coot, 2 Canada Geeese, 2 Mute Swan, 7 Mallard, 2 Common Terns (also visited the Flashes)

MOORS POOL
2 Mute Swans + 3 cygents, 4 Oyks + 3 young, 6 GC Grebe, 29 Coot, 3 Moorhen, 83 BH Gull, 8 LBB Gull, 8 Tufted Duck, 1 Dunlin briefly, Cuckoo perched in the North Moors, 17 Mallard, male Gadwall, Reed Warbler containing snatches of Yellow Wag call singing opposite Lifestyles, 24 Canada Geese, 2 Greylag Geese, c50 Swift + 20 Sand Martin + 35 Swallow + 200 House Martin.

Addition to this 2 little gulls on moors and 2 common tern on north moors

Chris

Dave is going to need a few waders to get anywhere near close.;)

Des.

I'd like to think that conditions on the flashes will peak between late august and early september giving us a great return-passage of waders. ;)

As well as the Red Kite, Paul Croft and I also had a Hobby over the moors this afternoon. 2 Peregrines earlier, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk and numerous Buzzards. That makes 7 raptors today, including the reported Marsh Harrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back