• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendations for backpack, DSLR, scope etc (1 Viewer)

Singlereed

I couldn’t find a specific place for this Q. Does anyone have a recommendation for a backpack with variable compartments. Specifically, I would want to put a M43 body and 100-400 lens, a standard zoom, a 60mm scope, maybe binoculars, a few odds and ends (drink, sandwiches etc) and to strap a tripod to the side. I’ve had a look online and found a few ideas but just wondered if anyone has found something similar that they like? I’m thinking more in the region of £50-70 rather than something really posh (and expensive). The idea is to have a setup that will allow me to walk a mile or two to a bird spotting location and carry it all easily to other spots and do other sightseeing. I managed quite well with a skiing backpack (the straps on the side for skis work for a tripod) but of course everything was loose inside. Thanks in advance.

Given you are carrying expensive and fragile equipment I don't see any utility in skimping on a backpack. A decent daysack to carry just the drink, snack and odds & ends would set you back more than £50.

Have a look at LowePro for dedicated camera rucksacks with specific padded compartments. https://www.lowepro.com/uk-en/

That's a ton of stuff you want to put in the backpack. I actually have two backpacks: one for the scope and bins, the other one, 9kg of photography equipment |:S|
Do you want to put everything inside the backpack or are you open to a modular system?
Anyway, Mono did point out something you should take into account regarding the price. Long lens backpacks, are more expensive than that.

Given that much stuff, and if you're reasonably practical (or can find someone who is), what's the worth in finding a reasonably priced waterproof and sturdy basic backpack, and making your own pullout 'padded box with sections' to hold everything inside? That way you can prioritise how you access stuff, maybe using recycling plastic foam packaging materials amongst other things?

Er, I wound up making my own from 2 bags that were of no use to me. Bags are plentiful, but few do what I really need them to do. I wrote a blog about it here.

https://skribblerz.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234-a-perfect-camera-bag-that-actually-does-the-job/

Reading that lot and how it performed after the second walk I would expect the 127th walk or so for the bag to carry you, cook you a 3 course meal at the end and edit all your photos ... Seriously, nice one :t:

I love my bag Dan. Hey, Singlereed, I've had an idea. What about a small camera bag stashed inside your ski backpack? That might work. Would be within budget as well.

Thanks guys, having had a bit more of a look, I reckon I'll need to spend more than I first thought (isn't that always the case?) ... quite a bit more, so any actual recommendations of ones that worked for you woukd be great.

I fit my Opticron MM4 60 with SDLv2 zoom (without SOC) and my Panasonic G85 with 100-400 lens in my Lowepro Flipside 400AW (old version, bought used from dealer for less than £50). This still leaves room for a standard lens and more in the lower compartment, and room for sandwiches etc in the top compartment and a water bottle and tripod on the outside. I’m not sure about binoculars, though. I’ll post some pictures tomorrow so you can see how it all fits in.
Another alternative is to buy one of these:
https://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/t...uGBDVjAp0zuHtBp0M2kZLLnsY7HAImNgaAt6VEALw_wcB
This is a perfect length for the MM4 60, and by using padded inserts you can make a second level and put the camera and 100-400 on top, or vice versa. The insert can then fit into a larger general purpose bag of your choice. I use this insert to store my scope in and transport it in the car.

As promised, here are some photos of the Flipside 400AW. As you can see, the gear compartment easily takes the MM4 60, M43 camera (here a GX8) with 100-400, Panasonic 12-60 and Swarovski EL 8x32 binoculars. There's still room for a Black Rapid strap on top. I usually protect the eyepiece with a lens wrap: https://www.wexphotovideo.com/calum...MIytei8Jqx6wIVB7TtCh13fQDhEAQYASABEgJwJ_D_BwE.
The top compartment is a bit smaller than I would like but is enough for a packed lunch, guidebook, a few accessories and a microfibre jumper. I sometimes roll up a Gore-Tex jacket and attach it to the outside.

Attachments

• IMG_3646.jpg
    IMG_3646.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4363.jpg
    IMG_4363.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 66
As promised, here are some photos of the Flipside 400AW. As you can see, the gear compartment easily takes the MM4 60, M43 camera (here a GX8) with 100-400, Panasonic 12-60 and Swarovski EL 8x32 binoculars. There's still room for a Black Rapid strap on top. I usually protect the eyepiece with a lens wrap: https://www.wexphotovideo.com/calum...MIytei8Jqx6wIVB7TtCh13fQDhEAQYASABEgJwJ_D_BwE.
The top compartment is a bit smaller than I would like but is enough for a packed lunch, guidebook, a few accessories and a microfibre jumper. I sometimes roll up a Gore-Tex jacket and attach it to the outside.

Thanks for those really helpful ideas. I like the camera insert, that it can just be taken out and substituted for ... a couple of pasties, a six pack of ale etc. Apart from my Lumix body being a G80, the contents shown in your bag is pretty much what I was packing this morning.

Last edited:
I couldn’t find a specific place for this Q. Does anyone have a recommendation for a backpack with variable compartments. Specifically, I would want to put a M43 body and 100-400 lens, a standard zoom, a 60mm scope, maybe binoculars, a few odds and ends (drink, sandwiches etc) and to strap a tripod to the side. I’ve had a look online and found a few ideas but just wondered if anyone has found something similar that they like? I’m thinking more in the region of £50-70 rather than something really posh (and expensive). The idea is to have a setup that will allow me to walk a mile or two to a bird spotting location and carry it all easily to other spots and do other sightseeing. I managed quite well with a skiing backpack (the straps on the side for skis work for a tripod) but of course everything was loose inside. Thanks in advance.

I've had more than a decades worth of solid service from the Canon backpack:
https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Deluxe-Backpack-Cameras-Accent/dp/B00009R6TA
It will hold a generous amount of kit and is flexibly partitioned. Plus it looks unassuming, not like an obvious target.

That's a reasonably small and compact photography rig - have you ever considered something like a LowePro top loader camera bag in an appropriate size that you could wear on a chest harness ? That's what I did with a much larger rig, trekking around the place. It let's you very quickly get a shot, but keeps it protected and weatherproof.

Chosun :gh:

Thanks everyone I have ordered a bag and also the liner that asp09 suggested. Once I’ve got it all and it works, I’ll post some pics here. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back