• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nest Building Blackbird. Awww! (1 Viewer)

pie

Evening All,
How is the nesting activity going in your garden?
It looks like the House Sparrows will be sharing the Privet Hedge with this busy Blackbird.
Do you think she can get anymore nesting materiel in her mouth?
Awwwww!

Attachments

• DSC_0028.JPG
    DSC_0028.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 31
Aww! I know Kits, bless. She did get a lighter load later. |8.|

Attachments

• DSC_0034.JPG
    DSC_0034.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 25
Nowhere suitable for them to nest in my garden Pie. My neighbour has a grand bit of leylandii which they love so I still get to see them. I haven't seen them carrying yet. Last year it was trimmed after they started nesting, but I'm glad to say it was trimmed last weekend this year. It's amazing how much they can get in their bill. Lovely pics.

Hi Pie,

Lovely shot, well done. Haven't seen anything to match that yet this year. I've got a pair of Blackbirds keep on going into a large Ivy on the fence outside my 'study' window but not seen them carrying material so maybe just prospecting.

I suspect that I may have Woodies nesting in a tall conifer as one of them sits up there and 'moos' and is getting rather stroppy with visitors; it's a place where they HAVE nested in previous years. Otherwise no obvious signs yet, including nest boxes.

Bill

Hi pie, what wonderful pics of her! She will soon have the nest finished at that rate.
I haven't noticed much in the way of nesting yet, just the Woodpigeons and Magpies who have been at it for a few weeks.

Hi Pie.
She won't need many visits, there's half a nest in there. I always fear with possible late frosts about, that some of the nests are started a wee bit early. Still, fingers crossed.

All the best.
Baz.

Great photo's Pie! :t:

The male Blackbirds are still fighting for territory in my garden! I have noticed the Robins seem to have paired...fortunately! I had 4 in my garden last week looking a little tense with each other! Robins nested in the Ivy in my drive last year and I have noticed them occasionally hanging around there, so I am hopeful.

A good thread,Pie!:t: I will keep you updated.

Hi pie,
A female Blackbird has been collecting moss from our lawn the other day, so they are busy here too. Another pair of Blackies keep disappearing into the Ivy on the fence so.........perhaps a nest to come?? and the Robin is busy taking food away with him, so I think he must be feeding his Mrs. as it's a bit too early for babies yet I would think??
All go ain't it??!!

Hi All,

Roy, It's good to have neighbouring trees to watch Birds in, the bottom of my garden backs onto another garden, so I'm surrounded by various Bird habitats. Some of the hedge rows have become inter-twined with all sorts of Berries, Holly & Ivy etc. Mind you, I dread it when they get out the strimmers!

Bill, The prospect of Woodies nesting is very exciting, I remember finding them at Forest Farm last year, it was the most amazing thing to see, but it was the funniest thing to hear the newly hatched singing for their supper, I swear they didn't take a breath! Both parent GSW were frantically flying back & forth with food. Fingers crossed Bill.

Kezza, The Magpies have been busy flying twigs to the treetops since mid Feb in my garden too. I did wonder if the gales we had a couple of weeks ago caused any damage as I could see the tree bowing under pressure. Still, they are hardy Birds, so I'm hoping they can re-build.

Baz, You're right there lol! I was amused at last weeks episode of Bill Oddie, where he filmed the amount of worms a Bird could carry in one go, the female Blackbird won hands down!
I see we have a cold snap forecast for next week, so it is a worry. I notice the nest is deep inside the hedge, so hopefully it will be well protected.

Pam, My Robin seems to be solitary, unless of course there are a few of them & I'm seeing a different one every time lol! Funnily enough, today I saw a Robin cavorting with a Dunnock! :eek!: umm, better keep an eye on that pair me thinks! Keep us posted with your Robins Pam, they have never nested in my garden, but often bring the fledgelings to feed which is a treat.

Judo, Yes it is all go, I love the skill of these clever creatures. Most of the activity has been Birds marking their territories. I was thinking about the timing of nest building, and wondered if they rely on the constant food source I provide. The area the Blackbird has chosen is directly outside my patio door where I put breadcrumbs & sultanas etc. The M & F are quite tame for Blackbirds, they will feed alongside me. Aww!

Thank you all for joining in with your nesting stories :t:

Happy Springwatch

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back