• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orcas attack Yacht (1 Viewer)

And it's not the first incident. Right now there is a temporary ban for small sailing boats between Finisterre and Estaca de Bares.

Guess the orcas mistook the shape and size of the yacht as a large cetacean in trouble on the surface whilst the rudder was thought to be a fin or tail that was disabled by biting a chunk out of it.

Guess the orcas mistook the shape and size of the yacht as a large cetacean in trouble on the surface whilst the rudder was thought to be a fin or tail that was disabled by biting a chunk out of it.

I doubt this Pat, they're highly intelligent animals?

I wondered about an element of territorialism but it isn't typical of pelagic species is it or perhaps it is, when concerning a food source?

Orcas lives matter

Sorry very bad taste I know. That said I'm with you I'm happy that the Orcas are protecting their territories...

Ps my daughter is leading in a play where the children revolt against the environmental damage caused by adults and their parents etc - hopefully it raises awareness and if we get some green warriors out of it even better....

Last edited:
Orcas lives matter

Sorry very bad taste I know. That said I'm with you I'm happy that the Orcas are protecting their territories...

Ps my daughter is leading in a play where the children revolt against the environmental damage caused by adults and their parents etc - hopefully it raises awareness and if we get some green warriors out of it even better....

Good luck to her and their future. Thanks :t:

They were trying to hand a petition to all the cetacean activists: come and swim here and now!

Why the usual name of the species: Killer Whale was not mentioned?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back