• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clifton Pits Info? (1 Viewer)

michaelmorris

I'd like to pop over to Clifton Pits for a spot of birdwatching, but I haven't been before. I know pretty much where they are (right off the A38 south of Kempsey), but after that, I don't really know anything about the site.
Where is the best place to park?
Where is the best access?
Do I need anyone's permission to visit the site?
Where are the best spots to see birds there?

Thanks

I'd like to pop over to Clifton Pits for a spot of birdwatching, but I haven't been before. I know pretty much where they are (right off the A38 south of Kempsey), but after that, I don't really know anything about the site.
Where is the best place to park?
Where is the best access?
Do I need anyone's permission to visit the site?
Where are the best spots to see birds there?

Thanks

Anyone?

Best parking is here. Please park carefully near the gate.

Public footpaths as marked on the above map will lead you to the main pit and the smaller pits to the south. The main pit attracts the most birds including reasonable numbers of both Goosander and Goldeneye along with a few Green Sandpipers.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Best parking is here. Please park carefully near the gate.

Public footpaths as marked on the above map will lead you to the main pit and the smaller pits to the south. The main pit attracts the most birds including reasonable numbers of both Goosander and Goldeneye along with a few Green Sandpipers.

Brian

We went over to Clifton Pits today (Sunday 11/3/2012). We saw loads of Pochard and Tufted ducks, around 10 Gossander and a single male Goldeneye. :t:

Dropped in Clifton today. As previous reports in the main. 70 Tufted Ducks, 12 Goosander, 1 Grey Heron, Corn Bunting, Reed Bunting and loads of Pied Wagtail.

Very enjoyable walk but not easy walking for anyone going for the first time.

seems a long time since anyone posted here, so just in case anyone has a look, 7 Cranes have been around, superb in flight.
thanks Dave for letting me know.

seems a long time since anyone posted here, so just in case anyone has a look, 7 Cranes have been around, superb in flight.
thanks Dave for letting me know.

No probem Paul - glad you saw them. You might be one of the last to do so as they were much more mobile today, having been initially spooked by dog walkers. They were last seen flying south west and couldn't be relocated by dusk per Birding Today. Tomorrow will tell if they are still in the area.

Watched them fly from north to south, passed over the pits. Good views of them in flight, but not so good for my camera. Others were there with long lenses, hope they post some shots.
here's mine.

Attachments

• cranes2.jpg
    cranes2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 178
just had our first visit to Clifton Pits and what a morning, thought we had missed the cranes,as we arrived at main pool and just got the goldeye and Mary spotted them flying in and they settled in a ploughed field for a while then flew off towards the wood on the other side of the river but look like they landed.many thanks to Adam and Mike.
here,s some distance photo's from Mary

Attachments

• 26jan13 002.jpg
    26jan13 002.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 26jan13 003.jpg
    26jan13 003.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 26jan13 004.jpg
    26jan13 004.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 26jan13 006.jpg
    26jan13 006.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 26jan13 007.jpg
    26jan13 007.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 148
Anyone know the age split of the Clfton birds, as I note there were seven in Kent in the week?

Info was specific about 4ad/3juv or something like that.

Sean

Anyone know the age split of the Clfton birds, as I note there were seven in Kent in the week?

Info was specific about 4ad/3juv or something like that.

Sean

One immature, six adults. The seven were present in Kent concurrently with the Worcs birds at one point - so they are definitely different birds. As Phil Andrews suggests above, the Wiltshire flock could possibly be 'ours' but I don't have any further info that might be able to confirm this.

One immature, six adults. The seven were present in Kent concurrently with the Worcs birds at one point - so they are definitely different birds. As Phil Andrews suggests above, the Wiltshire flock could possibly be 'ours' but I don't have any further info that might be able to confirm this.

Unfortunately the pager message re the Wiltshire flock didn't give any ages. They were flying in a SE direction; if you take a line NW of Wiltshire you roughly come to Worcs.

Unfortunately the pager message re the Wiltshire flock didn't give any ages. They were flying in a SE direction; if you take a line NW of Wiltshire you roughly come to Worcs.

The odd thing about the Wiltshire report is that it mentioned the birds flying SE over the A417. However, this road only just skirts the northern boundary of Wilts and runs no where near Stourton.

But either way, its seems likely that these were the Worcs birds given the Kent birds were still in situ at the time.

Brian

The odd thing about the Wiltshire report is that it mentioned the birds flying SE over the A417. However, this road only just skirts the northern boundary of Wilts and runs no where near Stourton.

But either way, its seems likely that these were the Worcs birds given the Kent birds were still in situ at the time.

Brian

Yes - I couldnt work it out either (Stourton being in the SW corner of Wiltshire near Stourhead NT)

WOW WOW WOW, paid my first visit to Clifton pits today, and what an awesome two hours birding.

To my total amazement there was a male ring ouzel I got amazing close up views, it was there on the far side of the pit with nice habitat having a drink, altogether I saw it three times :t:

There was also a goldeneye, 7 sand martins, 2 green sandpiper and 27 wigeon, what a fantastic little place do go birding :t:

WOW WOW WOW, paid my first visit to Clifton pits today, and what an awesome two hours birding.

To my total amazement there was a male ring ouzel I got amazing close up views, it was there on the far side of the pit with nice habitat having a drink, altogether I saw it three times :t:

There was also a goldeneye, 7 sand martins, 2 green sandpiper and 27 wigeon, what a fantastic little place do go birding :t:

There are Sand Martins in Worcestershire?!? Brrrrrr :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back