• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

No Interview with Swarovski (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
Just a note to say that I haven't forgotten Swarovski in putting together my series of industry interviews. I have invited Dale Forbes to be interviewed twice but on both occasions he wasn't able to accept the opportunity.

Lee

Just a note to say that I haven't forgotten Swarovski in putting together my series of industry interviews. I have invited Dale Forbes to be interviewed twice but on both occasions he wasn't able to accept the opportunity.

Lee

I always interviewed company CEOs as they are the onlynones who can give frank replies on the record. Everyone else will usually ooze around like an earthworm.

Edmund

I think it's an excellent opportunity for companies to have such direct contact with fans .. It's a real shame..

Inviato dal mio G8141 utilizzando Tapatalk

Everyone else will usually ooze around like an earthworm.
Yes, it's a peculiar game trying to figure out whether they actually said anything in reply or not, and if so what... rather like politics. I don't quite understand it, because in all those I've read I haven't seen a question technical enough to give away information any competitor wouldn't already have guessed. It seems they want customers, but don't know what to do with actual fans, and may not appreciate how they generate new customers. For the record I had been wondering where the Swaro interviews were (beyond the one with Dobler over the SF of course ;)) so thanks Lee.

Hi tenex,

I too am perplexed by the lack of technical candour by those speaking on the record, especially as it's not a real attempt to keep competitors guessing,
since the optics industry will be like any other one

That is, when a new model from a major player comes out, as a matter of routine competitors will buy a couple of units, and:
- firstly do a lot of non-destructive testing to establish base lines, and
- then take one down to the individual components to see what makes it tick (e.g. see the attached image of an EL FP provided by Swarovski),
while keeping the other for future comparison

John

and a version with clearer detail, though with a page fold through it . . .

Attachments

• EL FieldPro.jpg
    EL FieldPro.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 94
  • FP #2.jpg
    FP #2.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Tenex and John

I know from my time in industry that in many companies employees are under a contractual obligation to not reveal information that the company defines as 'sensitive'. It therefore does not matter one tiny bit if a competitor already knows the info or can guess or can find out by buying binos and examining them. The only thing that matters is the content of the contract of employment that has been signed. Suppliers involved in the development and / or production of new product are often required to sign non-disclosure agreements so that they too are bound by the secrecy. One of my interviewees has been banned from giving further interviews for having over-stepped the mark in one of my interviews.
So while it can be frustrating that some questions are avoided or only partly answered the reasons for this are not trivial.

Lee

While slightly off topic . . .

For comparison with the disassembled EL FieldPro in post #7, also see a Maven B2 reduced to 169 components (not including the rain guard and the objective covers)
It’s from: https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a28239744/things-come-apart-binoculars/

As with the EL, besides the primary optical and mechanical components, there's an abundance of seating and spacing rings

In contrast, see the much fewer components of a traditional construction Porro prism binocular: a Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem
The image is from Ant1 at Cloudy Nights: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/540120-service-manual-for-zeiss-jenoptem-10x50w/ (unfortunately, the image is no longer attached to the post)

John

Attachments

• Maven B2.jpg
    Maven B2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Jenoptem.jpg
    Jenoptem.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 42
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back