• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi,who's trying to eat my House Martins :-( (1 Viewer)

zitling

Hi, new and requesting some help.
I live in a quiet Kent village and have at least 8 House Martin nests.
My partner last evening (19.30ish) saw a hawk of somekind chasing a House Martin for up to 10 minutes over open fields nearby. She did not see the outcome as they flew out of sight.
I've been trawling internet to no avail to see what bird of prey might be so persistant.
I see someone here has had Hawks ambushing House Martins as they leave their nests but the general concensus of opinion seems to be House Martins have no real predators.
Sorry if it's an obvious answer and I'm being a numpty but I've really tried to look it up:)
Any ideas anyone?

I would think that sparrow hawk is a good bet as they often hunt for swallows and the like at roosts.

hello, welcome to bird forum!

try looking at sparrowhawks and the hobby, these birds will have a go at your house martins, prehaps peregrine on the odd occasion also. but first two will definetly by sizing up house martins for lunch!

I'd be more inclined to think Hobby rather than Sparrowhawk given the length of time you say the 'chase' lasted. Just can't see a Sprawk bothering with all the fancy flying required for that sort of prolonged attack, as they tend to favour a "fly-through" approach. Quite prepared to be shot down in flames though. ;)

Hi, zitling! I see this is your first post, so a warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

Can't help you with your question, but sounds like some of your compatriots are. :t:

SimonC said:
I'd be more inclined to think Hobby rather than Sparrowhawk given the length of time you say the 'chase' lasted. Just can't see a Sprawk bothering with all the fancy flying required for that sort of prolonged attack, as they tend to favour a "fly-through" approach. Quite prepared to be shot down in flames though. ;)
I'd go for Hobby too, I was in a hide watching Marsh Harriers when a Hobby took a Swift, unfortunately, I missed seeing it!, and the Harrier that took the Swift off the Hobby|=(|. Everyone else say it though!.:C

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back