• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Satellite TV via your PC (1 Viewer)

A CHAPLIN

Hello Everyone,

Does anybody watch tv through their PC's or more important to me satellite channels?

I have an old original Astra satellite dish which I use to watch Eurosport mainly but sometimes some of the German channels that are still using analogue.

I did a Google to see what was available on my system really but found this company offering a special package for a one off $49.99 to watch satellite stations worldwide. I think there must be a catch somewhere but don't know the right questions to ask. If it is genuine I would jump at it as I could flick through the channels without having to move from the PC, checking programmes via teletext daily (tv is in another room) for the channels I have is a pain.

http://www.satellitetvtopc.com/?hop=bisale

Any help, advice etc. would be very welcome.

Happy New Year to you All.

Ann :egghead:

These services use up HUGE amounts of your bandwidth, since it uses your internet connection to connect. They can also be slow and unreliable, particularly at peak-time for internet use.
If you are considering one of these things, I hope you're on a broadband package which offers unlimited downloads, otherwise you will almost certainly have to change package.

It would be better, and cheaper, in my opinion to get a standard analogue PCI TV card for your PC and just connect it up to the RGB out slot of your set top box. It will then feed the signal from your box direct to your PC.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am with AOL broadband and just pay the standard monthly fee I don't think there are extra charges for bandwidth and of course the usual sites that charge for music downloads or films which I have never used.

As I said I only have the original Astra satellite which hasn't many tv stations on it now as they have all gone digital but I keep it because I can watch Eurosport and anything else on it including CNN free.

Thanks for your help, I think I will forget the idea. I am a gadget person that has wasted a lot of money over the years for 5 minute wonders, sorry don't know how else to put that, at least I can ask questions on here and get advice first.

Happy New Year

Don't do it!!! It's a huge rip-off. I fell for the scam and all you get access to is a somewhat organized list of free stations around the globe. None of them are anything you would want to watch....lots of church stations and the like. They offer a 30-day money back guarantee, but of course they never reply to your emails. I think the one you mention is the very one I bought....blech!!! Worthless!:C

I'm now laughing hysterically after recognizing your user name....if you are a chaplin then you certainly may be interested in the religious channels, but the whole concept of tv over pc is just not worthwhile yet, imo. And like I said, you can find all the channels they sell you for free elsewhere. Good luck

Just do a google search for 'sopcast'. I sometimes use it to watch live sports (though I also pay Sky in Japan to watch premier and champions league football on TV via satellite, however some games aren't on so I use the PC to watch them). It's very easy to use and free. There are several other similar players (TVants, TVU and others).

This site is one I recommend if you like sports. It has an embedded sopcast player in the browser and it always works. The picture quality is ok but you may get Chinese or Thai commentary. You'll need to download sopcast or the other players before using this site and it only works in internet explorer on a PC (not Mac).

In general you should NEVER pay companies to watch live sport on the internet, all they'll do is point in the direction of other (free) services.

Dunno about other TV stations............I download TV stuff from the UK via bit-torrent.

Sopcast

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am with AOL broadband and just pay the standard monthly fee I don't think there are extra charges for bandwidth and of course the usual sites that charge for music downloads or films which I have never used.

As I said I only have the original Astra satellite which hasn't many tv stations on it now as they have all gone digital but I keep it because I can watch Eurosport and anything else on it including CNN free.

Thanks for your help, I think I will forget the idea. I am a gadget person that has wasted a lot of money over the years for 5 minute wonders, sorry don't know how else to put that, at least I can ask questions on here and get advice first.

Happy New Year

is this free satellite tv on your pc not on ebay for about £4 ???? read some of the feedback or better still contact someone off ebay who has bought it ..i was looking at it myself..too good to be true!maybe not if it did not work the seller would get neg feedback bigtime.. hope this helps

Thanks,

I never thought to look on EBay for the item or feedback I just found it by chance. I don't speak any other languages but English but all I want to watch (sorry folks) is equestrian sports and I don't need to know another language for that. I guess the biggest difficulty would be finding tv schedules for all the stations.

Thanks again I will definitely have a look at EBay, always a bit dubious about private sellers if that makes sense.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back