• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will it be a good October? (1 Viewer)

simmojunior

At the moment it seems very quiet and Shetland is getting tonnes of rarities.
I am heading off to Scilly on the 16th October for the first time.
Do people think it will improve? I have never done Scilly before so have no idea what wind direction (s) are needed.

I'm sure it will. I've been loads of times and there is always stuff to see. Don't worry about wind direction etc, just hope that there is a steady stream of semi rare stuff turning up this week. We don't want it to peak too soon! Then by next sat it will be good for when I get there and they will all hang about for you!
Hope you have a good time. If I can offer any advice, its, get to know the island(s) and enjoy the birding. Remember,its not all about chasing everything. I've found that some people still rush around trying to every little thing if its a bit quiet, but if there is no Big rarity you need, just call in on the other stuff on your way around. You will pick most stuff up during the week.
Its a fantastic and beautiful place. Good luck.:t:

no it will be crap

i was last there in 98 and that was shit! with only a wilsons snipe,

i emerged out of my tent every morning around 11,checked the pager around lunchtime and spent the rest of the time in the pub...............good days

I went to Scilly for 20 years in late October, and always saw something new. It is, as Rover says a brilliant location, if the rarities aren't there, just enjoy the stunning scenery (not available from inside a tent) and the easy relaxed pace of life. Catch up with a few friends in the evening at the log, and get to the off islands. You can't beat lunch at the Turks Head on St Agnes.

Remember that rarities are found by human beings, and don't just come on the pager by magic - so if it seems quiet go out and find your own and everyone will benefit!

Well I had a great week on Scilly. I have to say there was fewer birders than ever this year, but I don't think that mattered too much if the ones on there are out birding and not just chasing others sightings. Came home without a tick but did manage to find our own R B Fly at Holy Vale. :t:
Had a few too many pasties and way too many pints of Rattler!! B :)
We're planning on going back next year. There are some places that you just can't give up!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back