• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grantown on Spey - disappointed! (1 Viewer)

I've never met anyone who saw one from the furnicular. I've always found you have to WALK up Cairngorm, usually quite early in the morning as it starts to resemble a busy street after about 10am, with all the hill walkers. This isn't as hard as it sounds, as there is a track designed for landrovers belonging to the ski staff which runs as far as the to furnicular station. In bad weather they can be little more than half way up the track. In good weather you might have to head out onto the plateau.

For cresties, I find the car park for the Loch Mallachie loop path is the best. I've only ever seen them in the car park itself, in the trees above the car. Look for something that acts like a goldcrest on amphetamines.

I don't believe you will hoodies in this area. Try driving over to Ullapool. It only takes 2-3 hours.

Yes it's pretty rare to see a "true" Hoodie in Stathspey...unless you hang about Aviemore on a Friday night that is;)
Majority of them are just scruffy looking hybrid things (crows that is).

I had Ptarmigan fly underneath me from the old skilift, haven't tried the funicular.

However I have found the northern corries quite good, and a lot less of a climb!

Alternatively there's always Glen Shee and the Cairnwells skilift.

John

Are Crossbills showing well at this time of year? Thinking (vaguely) about a trip up to see the EOW then across to try to find Parrott / Scottish Crossbills. Last time I tried I failed miserably for them. Are they more localised yet, as winter progresses?

Are Crossbills showing well at this time of year? Thinking (vaguely) about a trip up to see the EOW then across to try to find Parrott / Scottish Crossbills. Last time I tried I failed miserably for them. Are they more localised yet, as winter progresses?

Been very hard to pin down recently...groups very mobile so a stab in the dark to come across them at their usual known haunts....there's a hell of a lot of forest to work!!! As early breeders they do seem to start hanging around territories from Jan onwards but until then pretty hard work tracking them down.

Been very hard to pin down recently...groups very mobile so a stab in the dark to come across them at their usual known haunts....there's a hell of a lot of forest to work!!! As early breeders they do seem to start hanging around territories from Jan onwards but until then pretty hard work tracking them down.

Appreciate the feedback, thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back