• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scamming Mac Users (1 Viewer)

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Hello,

Countless times I have received 'phone calls purporting to be from Microsoft about issues with my PC. Usually, the speaker has a very noticeable South Asian accent. As I do not have a PC, I assume that it is a "phishing" call.

Today, I received a call, on my mobile 'phone, from "Jennifer," telling me that I have suspicions behaviour on my iCloud account. It was a very American but robotic call. I immediately dismissed it without copying the 'phone number she was providing.

When I returned home, I checked my email and found no messages from Apple about iCloud usage. I went to my iCloud account, using my normal login and password, which worked. I then got an email from Apple, informing me that my iCloud account had been accessed.

I am rather confident that the mobile 'phone call was a scam but this is a major escalation of an old "confidence" game.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hi Arthur, I sometimes have fun with these people telling them my computer isn't switched on and make them wait while I connect it and boot it up!!!

I doubt you have ever given MS your phone number, so there's no way they would be ringing you.

Hi Arthur, I sometimes have fun with these people telling them my computer isn't switched on and make them wait while I connect it and boot it up!!!

I doubt you have ever given MS your phone number, so there's no way they would be ringing you.

Hello Delia,

Apple does have my 'phone number, my landline number. On one occasion, they wanted to text me a verification code so I provided a mobile 'phone number. Nevertheless, I think the call was a fraud.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back