• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yet another deciding on bins - thread! (1 Viewer)

AG-FI

Ohoy! I'm currenly looking for binoculars to complement my 10x42 Vortex DB's. Something compact yet sweet with 8x magnification, and a budget of 200€-400€, preferably closer to the 200€-300€ range

I have been glancing into the Nikon Prostaff 7s 8x30, Monarch 7 8x30 and the Viking Kestrel 8x32.

My local optics shop had both the Prostaff and the Monarch for me to test, and while I enjoyed both the Prostaff was better for my eyes. The only con was that I has a way narrower FoV compared to the Monarch. That's not necessarily a deal breaker though, considering the 200€ difference between them.

However, looking at the Viking Kestrel spec-sheet it tells an interesting tale. They have ED glass and a great FoV, which the 7s don't have. Kestrels are only slightly more expensive than the 7s, and over 100€ cheaper than the Monarch which has very similar specs.

The issue is, I won't be able to test the Kestrels out and would have to order blindly. I'm just mainly looking for some pointers on the matter, and maybe some bino-suggestions that I could've missed.

Thanks! :eat:

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/sportoptics/binoculars/prostaff/prostaff7s_30/index.htm Prostaff 7s

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products//binoculars/monarch-7-8x30.html Monarch 7

https://www.vikingoptical.co.uk/product/viking-kestrel-ed-binoculars/ Viking Kestrel

Last edited:
Zeiss Terra ED 8 x32, at the top of your budget. Hopefully your local store has them or can get a pair in for you to try.

Zeiss Terra ED 8 x32, at the top of your budget. Hopefully your local store has them or can get a pair in for you to try.

Unfortunately they only sell Nikon and Kowa. And for Kowa they did not have the Prominar BD XD available which I would have loved to sample aswell.

Ilta AG-FI.

It is always a risk buying unseen.
Could your shop get the Kowa for you to try?
Also binoculars vary sample to sample, so hands on testing is best.

Terveisin,
B.

Ilta AG-FI.

It is always a risk buying unseen.
Could your shop get the Kowa for you to try?
Also binoculars vary sample to sample, so hands on testing is best.

Terveisin,
B.

Iltaa!

I think so yes, but they are also over my budget around these parts of the world, about 430€. The Prostaff 7s seemed like a nice piece of equipment optically, other than the narrow FoV. In which though I'm already used to with the 10x42 Diamondbacks, at least I think so. :D

There are some issues with the Nikons though. Like the objective lens covers are pure garbage and same goes for the ocular covers. Surely you can get better ones somewhere, but thats always more money to spend.

That's a shame if your local optics retailer only has those two brands.
Onnea!
P

ps Loved my time in your country 10 years ago, beautiful landscape and kind, helpful and thoughtful people who say it like it is, bit like Norfolk.

Last edited:
That's a shame if your local optics retailer only has those two brands.
Onnea!
P

ps Loved my time in your country 10 years ago, beautiful landscape and kind, helpful and thoughtful people who say it like it is, bit like Norfolk.

Yeah thats too bad indeed. Helsinki would have more brands available, but I cant be arsed to make the trip! :eat:

I must say that I'm pretty intrigued by the Viking Kestrels. I ordered my Vortex Diamondbacks blindly also and they ended up being a sweet purchase a few years ago.

I'm glad you enjoyed Finland, this is surely a beautiful country :)

However, looking at the Viking Kestrel spec-sheet it tells an interesting tale. They have ED glass and a great FoV, which the 7s don't have.

Hi,

first of all - you need to use the bins and your eyes have to work with them. That's why trying in person is important.

Although I would like to know why you liked the prostaffs better - was it eye relief?

I don't quite understand the quoted sentence - the Monarch 7 has 8.3 deg of true field and the Kestrel has 7.8. Both have ED glass...

And yes, Terra ED or Meopro are ok too if you can find one. Do you get Opticron in Finland?

Joachim

Hi,

first of all - you need to use the bins and your eyes have to work with them. That's why trying in person is important.

Although I would like to know why you liked the prostaffs better - was it eye relief?

I don't quite understand the quoted sentence - the Monarch 7 has 8.3 deg of true field and the Kestrel has 7.8. Both have ED glass...

And yes, Terra ED or Meopro are ok too if you can find one. Do you get Opticron in Finland?

Joachim

I was referring to the Prostaff 7s, hence the 7s. That might've read out a bit confusing now that I look at it!

I found the Prostaff 7s for my eyes was a tad sharper and clearer to the Monarch, but maybe it was just a mediocre Monarch I was handling.

We do have Opticron in Finland, and the Countryman HD 8x32 BGA seems like a great tool, it goes for 380€ at the moment. I have the Opticron MM4 60 ED scope and I quite like it, so I'm familiar with the level of quality they produce

I was referring to the Prostaff 7s, hence the 7s. That might've read out a bit confusing now that I look at it!

I found the Prostaff 7s for my eyes was a tad sharper and clearer to the Monarch, but maybe it was just a mediocre Monarch I was handling.

yeah - sample variation exists... unfortunately...

Countryman HD 8x32 seems to be nice and if you can get it for a good price as a new model HD+ has been introduced - go ahead.

Joachim

Thank you everyone for the insights.

I have decided to go with either the Monarch 7 or the Countryman.

Monarch 7 is much lighter and a bit smaller overall, thats pretty much what I'm aiming for size wise. The Countryman is over 600grams, which is even more than my current 10x42 Vortex.

Just have to see for myself and decide, good and frustrating times ahead!

Good luck AG-FI.
A choice of two isn't that bad.

I just finished watching Sorjonen (Bordertown) and Karppi (Deadwind) last night.
Both good although rather dark subject matter.
Good photography of Finland.

One of them has the detective chief using perhaps a 65mm angle spotting scope for birdwatching on a few episodes.
Possibly Deadwind Series1 episode 3 15 minutes into episode.

Also Deadwind episode 6 in a general wide angle shot the whole of Ursa Major is bright from town and Alcor is bright. All the stars are sharp. Impressive modern movie cameras in real time and impressive lens quality. In widescreen format also.

Regards,
B.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back