• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EOS1DX MkIII rumours, speculation, field test escapees, teasers & announcements (1 Viewer)

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
Canon EOS1DX MkIII rumours, speculation, field test escapees, teasers & announcements

Canon rumours has it that the successor to the EOS1DX MKII has begun field testing with a very small number of photographers and/or engineers.
https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-1d-x-mark-iii-field-testing-has-begun/

The whole rationale behind this camera is that it will be the company's high performance flagship which they have stated at this point in time will be DSLR. As such AF performance will be key.

I expect evolution rather than revolution.

With the 2020 Tokyo Olympics looming, company pride will be on the line. I would expect that Canon would want these in the hands of Pro's in commercial quantities perhaps late this year or first thing next year, so that they are fully conversant with it's operation come the Games.

What to expect: (my guesstimates)
* Ergonomics essentially the same .....
* 24MP (stacked?) BSI CMOS sensor
* 16 fps in all modes
* at least 153+ focus points, all cross type operable at f8, perhaps even some central matrix at f9.5? with AF down to -5EV
* vastly uprated RGB+IF sensor, 720,000 pixel or more, and improved algorithms /AI.
* dual DIGIC 9+
* 4K 60p oversampled video, and uprated 1920×1080 full HD at up to 240fps capability.
* fully articulated 2.1Million dot LCD screen
* dual CFExpress card slots.
* uprated built in wireless protocols and hardware.

This will be the last roll of the Woolly Mammoth dice ..... I would expect a mid life refresh about 3 years after launch with a hybrid OVF+EVF viewfinder, and uprated hybrid e-shutter capability, etc. There may also be a higher resolution (lower fps) variant sold alongside then as well. Expect these to see the 2020's out with no further significant R&D to the DSLR platform ....... :cat:

Somewhere in the latter half of this initial 2020 /~2023 interval, expect an 'R' mount Mirrorless IDX successor to debut, and begin the take over process.

What are your thoughts? / mail? I'm particularly interested if anyone has a 'friend of a friend' who has laid eyes /hands on one of these protypes in testing, confirmed specs, or even a cheeky spy photo ! ;)

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
I currently use a 1DX2 and it's a remarkable camera. Basically the first and most important upgrade I would look for in a 1DX3 would be a shutter mechanism that doesn't spray oil all over the sensor cover. Other than that, the DX2 is the business.

Evolution Not Revolution

The latest mail has an announcement sometime between Q4 2019 and Q2 2020. I would think Canon would want these out in the market ASAP so that the Pro's can fully get to grips with them in plenty of time for work duty at the Tokyo Olympics.

No concrete specs are known at this time, but I have heard a number of MkII owners calling for a sensor that doesn't attract dust like theirs do - perhaps stopping the oil spraying as MJN mentioned might be a good start. If there are protypes undergoing field testing at this time then someone knows something ....
https://www.canonrumors.com/the-future-of-the-canon-eos-1d-x-series-cr1/

The rumour also has it that the 'high resolution' Mirrorless R model [if that is what is meant by the "pro" model, a Nikon Z8 and Sony a7rIV competitor - otherwise it could refer to a Mirrorless IDX III - an a9(II) competitor, though I think it may be too soon for that] will be delivered after the IDX III. Given the high spec high dollar R lenses that have led that range's release, Canon Mirrorless customers are crying out for a high end [EVF and MP] Mirrorless body to suit. :cat:

Last edited:
....... What are your thoughts? / mail? I'm particularly interested if anyone has a 'friend of a friend' who has laid eyes /hands on one of these protypes in testing, confirmed specs, or even a cheeky spy photo ! ;)

I will bet that there is someone who knows someone who knows of someone testing an engineering mule or prototype of the 1DX Mk III ....... https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.di...mark-iii-being-field-tested-for-2020-olympics

Any snippets ??

I currently use a 1DX2 and it's a remarkable camera. Basically the first and most important upgrade I would look for in a 1DX3 would be a shutter mechanism that doesn't spray oil all over the sensor cover. Other than that, the DX2 is the business.

Maybe a different oil formulation would be a first step?

Mirrorless Sister for 1DX II/III

A rumour has a mirrorless hi-speed model (R9? R1X?) making a debut before the hi-res model (R7? R8?). No specs or release date, but you would have to wager that the DSLR 1DXIII would still put in an appearance first. The R mount still needs those physically looooong supertelephotos in a native mount if a Pro model is to be taken seriously. I'd expect the 300 f2.8, and 500 f4 to make their R debuts first ....... when - who knows?
https://www.canonnews.com/new-rumor-canon-flagship-1dx-like-mirrorless-coming-sooner-than-expected

The CanonRumors article (https://www.canonrumors.com/canons-...is-coming-sooner-than-originally-thought-cr1/) suggested it could be at the same time as the 1DxIII, which they recognize would be a first for Canon.

Canon/nikon must be feeling a lot of Sony heat at the moment. Maybe this is Canon's way to shake the tree.
I think they're certainly feeling the heat - but would conservative Canon be so bold ? I think that would uproot the tree and all the monkeys in it ! :-O

The Pro's tasked with capturing and making a living at the event will be rusted on Pro DSLR users. Familiarity breeds confidence and performance. They'll know the limitations and the plan B's.

I can't see Canon being so bold as a public release - for one thing where are the native R mount supertelephotos ? It's also a company in self declared contraction. Also given Canon's Mirrorless AF performance so far they're not exactly setting the world alight. From what I've seen and read, some of the results turn out okay (somehow) but the tracking system is a couple of steps behind (clearly seen when filmed). Sony seems to have a handy lead.

Perhaps the engineers will be out secretly (as secretly as you can under a global gaze ! :) real world testing some prototypes and mules.

Maybe any public releases would be confined to the 'R9' (or whatever it will be called) body fitted to the new R mount lens 70-200 f2.8and strapped to the side as a 2nd system like a lightweight photo journalists kit ...... ? :cat:

Watching wimbledon this week & one of the pros had a 1dx sized camera,what was different was the units for the strap lugs.Both were bright green & stood out.Just wondered if it was a 1dxiii protoype being tested.

Thinking about moving from the 1DX mark 1 to mark 2. The reports re oil on the sensor put me off. How frequent is the problem?

Thinking about moving from the 1DX mark 1 to mark 2. The reports re oil on the sensor put me off. How frequent is the problem?
I guess if you listen to Canon then there isn't a problem. It may be worth you googling and visiting Fred Miranda forums and get a slightly contrasting view.
I'm currently awaiting the return of mine from Canon after it's fourth visit to Elstree. My mates camera has no problem whatsoever.
Best.
Mike.

I guess if you listen to Canon then there isn't a problem. It may be worth you googling and visiting Fred Miranda forums and get a slightly contrasting view.
I'm currently awaiting the return of mine from Canon after it's fourth visit to Elstree. My mates camera has no problem whatsoever.
Best.
Mike.

Had no problems with the Mark 1 which is a superb camera.

I've never used a mk1 so can't comment on it.
Every person I've spoken to that has had them both is in no doubt that the mk2 is a worthwhile upgrade.
There is a problem with mine that takes way more attention than I would ideally like to spend on it.

I've never used a mk1 so can't comment on it.
Every person I've spoken to that has had them both is in no doubt that the mk2 is a worthwhile upgrade.
There is a problem with mine that takes way more attention than I would ideally like to spend on it.

Which suggests it is not much of an upgrade:)

Agreed, the camera (and Nikon's D5) are unbeatable for action photography. The oil is a real pain in the rear. My better half and I have those bodies and cannot clean the sensors enough. Very poor design Canon!

How frequent is the problem?

S H I T

Period. But you can keep cleaning sensors. It's not a huge issue for my bird or aviation photography, but for macro or any other where I step down to say f/11 or more the spots become VERY visible. No matter how many times I clean both 1Dx2 sensors in our arsenal, the issue remains. Every 1Dx2 user I spoke to has the same issue.

Canon should be ashamed of developing a camera that is so expensive yet poor in sensor quality. (referring to oil on sensor, not overall image quality, which is superb once you stop grumbling about the oil spots)

S H I T

Period. But you can keep cleaning sensors. It's not a huge issue for my bird or aviation photography, but for macro or any other where I step down to say f/11 or more the spots become VERY visible. No matter how many times I clean both 1Dx2 sensors in our arsenal, the issue remains. Every 1Dx2 user I spoke to has the same issue.

Canon should be ashamed of developing a camera that is so expensive yet poor in sensor quality. (referring to oil on sensor, not overall image quality, which is superb once you stop grumbling about the oil spots)

Agreed.
My camera as good as it undoubtedly is cannot realistically be used for macro at f16. The clean background looks like the Milky Way and when analysed at pixel level contains thousands of tiny black spots.
For birds at f5.6 - f8 its superb.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back