• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norton - Vote Wanted Please (1 Viewer)

A CHAPLIN

Hi,

I have a new PC which had the (usual) trial version of Norton loaded, I have just received a message that the trial expires in 7 days.

I have Spybot, Spyblaster, AVG and Adaware loaded by myself do I ditch Norton?

Please help me decide.

Thank you.

Ann :h?::egghead:

Of course you ditch Norton. It costs money, slows down your machine and is not the best at the job.
The programs you have are entirely adequate for the job, I'd suggest having the zonealarm firewall rather than the windows version.

Yes, Ann... AVG anytime and as Keith said Zonealarm too.

D

And I'll make it unanimous. AVG. I suffered 2 years with Norton. Best thing I ever did was uninstall.

Same here, AVG and zonealarm. Had the same thing as you a couple of years ago with Norton pre installed, gave it the full 3 months to give it a fair go and I hated every day I spent with it. If I'm ever in the same situation it will be uninstalled on the first day.

Hi Everybody,

Thanks I will wait until the free trial runs out and then remove Norton from my programmes.

Thanks Keith and Delia I will add Zone Alarm I like the PC to be as secure as I can and knew if I asked on here I would get the best.

Ann :egghead:

What exactly is the Norton? It could be just antivirus or a suite with combined firewall, antivirus and antispyware. Which version is it and what operating system are you on? Haven't used very latest Norton products, but my understanding from reading security software forums is that speed issues are much improved. (Can't say whether they're any easier to remove though or whether customer support is better).
If you're thinking of removing Norton, what software exactly do you intend replacing its functionality with? The products in your list that you have loaded could all be just antispyware products.

P.S. Just noticed your second post Ann. Removing Norton thoroughly is not always a straightforward matter. You may want to run the appropriate Norton removal tool :
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...007082908475279&nsf=norton2008.nsf&view=docid
Also the registry cleaner cleaner section of Ccleaner might highlight some Norton stuff which remains after you think you've uninstalled it :
http://www.ccleaner.com/
If you were happy enough with Norton to complete the trial, maybe you'd be fine with the McAfee security suite offered here in exhange for creating an AOL account :
http://daol.aol.com/security/virusscan-plus
Hope the transfer goes well.

Last edited:
For information only.

It may be wise to watch what is posted in relation what is good or bad about a product or service. Three weeks ago, a U.K. web based forum had to close down beacuse the people, (directors) were/are being sued due to adverse comments relating to what was posted about the service given by a certain company.
Just something to bear in mind.

Regards

Malky

Hi,

I have Spybot, Spyblaster, AVG and Adaware loaded by myself do I ditch Norton?

Please help me decide.

Thank you.

Ann :h?::egghead:

Hi Ann

If you are running both an anti-virus/firewall from AVG and Norton at the same time, you may have problems - running both can compromise each other and throw up false positives (one of them - possibly Norton, but can't remember which - has a habit of detecting the other anti-virus software as an unwanted 'infiltrator'!)

As normjackson says, make sure you have both a spyware and an anti-virus package running - AVG do both.

I run Avast alongside the AVG spyware/AV and FF Firefox wall which all work fine together. The advantage of Avast, is it scans while still in start up mode (so extra security as you have warning before opening any windows files risking activating anything nasty that's been downloaded - it's possible then to start up in safe mode to remove any nasties)

If you do remove either Norton or AVG, I'd suggest you remove both, then just re-install the latest versions of whatever one you want to stay with, making sure you have the full works of either. (make sure your settings are set to automatically receive the latest updates)

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

Thank you for all the advice and especially those of you who told me to use the Norton removal tool, I don't want any bits left behind to cause problems, I cause enough of my own.

I looked to see the title of the product and it is just Norton Internet Security it does not state which version or year.

I have now added the Zone Alarm.

Thanks again for your help.

Ann :egghead:

It may be wise to watch what is posted in relation what is good or bad about a product or service. Three weeks ago, a U.K. web based forum had to close down beacuse the people, (directors) were/are being sued due to adverse comments relating to what was posted about the service given by a certain company.
Just something to bear in mind.

Regards

Malky

Hmm. Maybe we can redress matters by offering a link to an extract from a Japanese advert for Symantec software :
http://kirindave.tumblr.com/post/26730408

Mcafee

I use Mcafee virusscan. It deals with viruses automatically. Don't buy from Mcafee, far too expensive. Get from say Amazon, currently upgrade £13 for a year.

Hmmm, AVG free v Norton, no contest, they are both as bad as one another. :eek!:

Norton has had a poor 'PC performance' record for some time, their newer 360 has improved and is a reasonable product.

AVG free, sorry, won't have that on any PC I own, a very poor detection rate, actually one of the lowest, next to the then MS own OneCare attempt into the market. OneCare is now better than AVG, but of course, it ain't free.

There are only 3 real contenders for FREE antivirus one can choose from ... Antivir, Avast & AVG ... I listed them in order of proficiency, AVG free comes bottom, don't take my word for it, go do your own research.

I hasten to add that, AVG "paid for" is a respected product and I'd be more than happy to install on your PC ... just no mine. ;)

:smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back