• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you ? (1 Viewer)

I am very new to bird watching and trying to learn as much as possible can somone explain why you would have a tripod and a scope as well as binoculors? I cannot understand why?

Hi Shuggie if your birdwatching is mainly in the garden, woodland, or on long hikes then a 'scope is perhaps not necessary. But go to an estuary, where everything is a long way off bins just won't get the birds... and sea watching you're perhaps looking a couple of miles out.

For any real distance you'd need really big bins and they're then too heavy to use for any length of time.

I've really only scratched the surface with this reply; I'm sure others will have more for you.

binoculars give you about 8 or ten times magnification, there are times when you need more and a scope gives that from 20 to 70 times magnification.
So you use the bins for birds within range and the scope for birds out of range for the bins or for a better view of the bird.

Shuggie, try going to a local wildlife centre (e.g. Montrose Basin) where they have scopes set up for the visitors to use. It'll give you a feel for the difference.

I don't have a scope but I've had the privilege of using some really good scopes and it's incredibly impressive just how much they can reveal.

I remember seeing a black-tailed godwit over the other side of a loch through the scope, but with the binoculars it was barely a reddish dot, and it was impossible to see with the naked eye.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back