• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recognise this symbol? (manufacturer logo?) (1 Viewer)

ignus_reef

Bit of a longshot but:

My Dad lost his binoculars earlier this year and I thought a nice Christmas present would be to get him a new pair. I've had a look online at reviews to see which ones might be the best within budget but my Dad is quite particular about brands and I'd love to get him the same brand of binoculars (albeit a different model) to those which he had.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the brand!

However, I do remember the symbol on the focus wheel.
I've trawled through google image search trying to spot it on a pair somewhere but have had no luck.
Therefore, I've tried my best to draw it (see attachment) and I'm hoping one of you kind binoculars enthusiasts might be able to help.

Does anyone recognise the symbol and know which brand/model it might be from?

Thanks,
Tim

Attachments

• 20181129_181244.png
    20181129_181244.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 15
Hi Tim,
What colour was the symbol?

Was the binocular a Porroprism?
About what date was it bought?
Did it have a case?

B.

Bushnell has a similar looking logo on some of their hunting binoculars though I am not sure if the logo ever appears on the focus wheel.

Search "Bushnell Bone Collector"

Last edited:
Allbinos shows a 7x42 that looks just like the Meade Montana. Specs are the same as the Trinovid/Ultravid.

https://www.allbinos.com/629-Bresser_Montana_7x42-binoculars_specifications.html

Bob

Bresser and Meade are the same company... both are labels belonging to Jinghua Optical & Electronics (JOC).

Having had a quick look at their current range I didn't find anything which I would try... the models all have quite narrow fields for their class, even the upmarket Montana line.
Except maybe the 60 years anniversary 8x30 porro, fully multicoated and has 136/1000m or 7.8 deg (currently on sale for the princely sum of 59€)...

Joachim

Last edited:
The Bresser Corvette 10x50 Porro is one of the better models from the cheaper end of the market.
I have specs for the 10x50.
830g.
5.1 degree field
89m at 1000 metre
267ft at 1000 yds
The symbol on this version is on the left hand side of the upper body.

Well done Harry.

The Bresser Corvette 10x50 Porro is one of the better models from the cheaper end of the market.

I have had the 10 x 42 forever, I brought them in Northampton at a Binocular shop, long gone, when money was very tight. I have always got on well with them, and even though I have 'better' binoculars, I often have them in a coat pocket, whilst out walking, just in case.

I had them serviced by Action Optics last year, rather than lose them.

They're light, comfortable and easy to focus... They are not alpha's, possibly not betas but have lasted me as main bins from 1986 through 2010, and as spares, car or pocket since.

Just shows everyone is different (my wife cannot stand them)

Having said that I do not think I would be buying them now, as I am unsure if the current models are even made in the same country as mine, so could not speak to quality of new ones.

:t:

Last edited:
View attachment 681516

Bresser Corvette... kinda close
Harry

That is unbelievable - great spot! I'm surprised someone with such eagle eyes needs a pair of binoculars!

Thanks everyone for your help.

By the sounds of it they're not a particularly great brand but I imagine my Dad would be ecstatic with another pair of Bressers for sentimental reasons (he's funny like that!) - he'll only be using them occasionally to survey the landscape on trips and holidays anyway. It's good to hear that they won't be stretching my budget either.

Thanks,
Tim

To my knowledge Bresser was a pure trading company that had binoculars made by different international optical companies. Just two weeks ago I saw a KOMZ 8x30 Russian binocular, which did not carry that name but the name of Bresser.
Gijs van Ginkel

Bresser

To my knowledge Bresser was a pure trading company that had binoculars made by different international optical companies. Just two weeks ago I saw a KOMZ 8x30 Russian binocular, which did not carry that name but the name of Bresser.
Gijs van Ginkel

There was and maybe still is a Herr Bresser. It was a German company that distributed quite good quality Japanese binoculars. The company was then sold and as already stated became Meade and Bresser with cheaper Chinese models.
The original Corvette range was very good. A modern replacement could be the Opticron Imagic TGA WP. The 8x42 has a RRP £159 and the 10x50 has RRP £179. That's similar to the original Corvette prices.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back