• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (11 Viewers)

For anyone still wanting to see Hawfinches at Lynford Arboretum, the best chance at the moment seems to be at the southern end of the paddock in the late afternoon when birds seem to have a pre-roost gathering here. At least three or four individuals were seen to fly in from the direction of the hall. Two of them landed right at the top of the pines on the west side and a female showed well for some time in the trees in the middle of the paddock.

Steve.

Hasn't the best place to see them (from personal experience) been the back of the feeders and surrounding trees there? Or is that later on in the year, I can never remember

I think they do still show by the feeders, but unsurprisingly Hawfinches don't like people in camo hanging their massive lenses over the gate. I waited for a few of the above to depart the scene, stood back from the gate, and quickly a number of common species returned to the feeding station- Nuthatches, Marsh Tit, Chaffinch. I think given time and space the birds will come here- but sadly both are at a premium it seems.

Titchwell February 17th

Today's highlights

Avocet - 51 on fresh marsh, new winter record count
Peregrine - female hunting waders over fresh marsh this afternoon
Short eared owl - 1 over reserve this afternoon
Med gull - 2 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 2 on volunteer marsh
Barn owl - 5 around reserve this afternoon
Greenshank - 2 on saltmarsh

Paul

Any info. on current access to Olleys Farm would be much appreciated; I haven't been since the dual carriageway was put in. Is it still possible to park in the layby SE of the road, as you head SW from Thetford, towards London?
TIA,
Thomas

Would anyone who has seen the Roydon/Flitcham Pallid within the last couple of weeks be able to comment on the current state if its plumage? Seems like far too much of a coincidence, given the distance between Snett and the two sites, but having seen it again at Snett yesterday, the state of the primaries and distinctly altered flight pattern are both things which don't seem to show up on any of the recent photos or video footage. Probably talking rubbish but just wanted to put my mind at ease that there aren't (however unlikely it may seem) two separate birds involved.

Cheers
David

I'm hoping to get to Norfolk on Saturday for the Pallid Harrier. Happy to get there early to try and see it leaving roost - but would appreciate directions/details of where it has been roosting and seen leaving roost - don't know the area very well, I'm afraid!

Titchwell February 18th

Today's highlights

Water pipit - 1 on grazing meadow
Med gull - adult on fresh marsh this morning
Stonechat - 3 on east Trail
Dunlin - 108 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 42 on fresh marsh

Paul

I don't know anyone who has used public access to get to Olly's Farm since the opening of the dual carriageway....so parking a vehicle nearby is long gone past I'm afraid.

Good views of the Pallid at Roydon this evening Struggling to believe it, but I can't see how it was the same bird that I saw at Snetts Tuesday morning. The current state of the flight feathers were immediately striking and bore no resemblance to the Roydon bird. Looks like it's a pre dawn start down on the reserve tomorrow...

David

Thanks Pyrtle,

I rather thought that must be the case, given road planners understandable reluctance to have pedestrians attempt to cross 4 lanes of traffic, possibly scaling a fence in the middle. I'll have to see where else I can find to park and will report back.

Thanks again,
Thomas

For anyone interested in my thoughts regarding the Pallid Harrier, I have added a new thread to the rare bird information section with links to photos, which I believe proves the fact that there are currently (and always have been) two different birds wintering in the county

Do Mandarin still frequent Felbrigg and if so, are they observable all year round? Thanks in advance.

Hi Phil,

My understanding is Mandarin can be seen on the lake at Felbrigg all year round but can be sporadic in their appearances. I saw them on two of four visits last year- both late in the year- but they are regularly reported. Make sure to check for birds roosting under the trees on the west side of the lake.

Will

Hi Phil,

My understanding is Mandarin can be seen on the lake at Felbrigg all year round but can be sporadic in their appearances. I saw them on two of four visits last year- both late in the year- but they are regularly reported. Make sure to check for birds roosting under the trees on the west side of the lake.

Will

Thanks Will

For anyone interested in my thoughts regarding the Pallid Harrier, I have added a new thread to the rare bird information section with links to photos, which I believe proves the fact that there are currently (and always have been) two different birds wintering in the county

Fascinating stuff David, and well done for putting the time in and asking the question.

Jim.

Cheers Jim

Given the circumstances it would be very easy to simply dismiss the claim and accept the logical answer that all sightings relate to the same bird. If I had any photos from Feb 16th the comparison (rather than relying on a picture thats almost 9 weeks old) would be a lot more straightforward!

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back