• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Etosha National Park help to id new birds? (1 Viewer)

Like Andrew, I completely fail to see the importance of including country in this particular post. This is because:

1. The purpose of the post was to have these two birds identified (job very quickly done).

2. Anyone able to identify them will know exactly where Etosha is.

In other posts, this is far from being the case, and naming he country is exremely useful

what's the problem?

Like Andrew, I completely fail to see the importance of including country in this particular post. This is because:

1. The purpose of the post was to have these two birds identified (job very quickly done).

2. Anyone able to identify them will know exactly where Etosha is.

In other posts, this is far from being the case, and naming he country is exremely useful

what's the problem?

There are many possible reasons. For exemple, first time I went to the Philippines, I made a search on the word "Philippines" in BF to see which birds are asked as difficult to identify, to find members that are knowledgeable or based in the country and so on.

Another example, when I was living in Tanzania, I had limited connection and time online, and my help for id was appreciated. Therefore, I made a regular search on the word "Tanzania" to find the posts where I could help. Again, if country name was not written, I didn't find them.

There are many possible reasons. For exemple, first time I went to the Philippines, I made a search on the word "Philippines" in BF to see which birds are asked as difficult to identify, to find members that are knowledgeable or based in the country and so on.

Another example, when I was living in Tanzania, I had limited connection and time online, and my help for id was appreciated. Therefore, I made a regular search on the word "Tanzania" to find the posts where I could help. Again, if country name was not written, I didn't find them.

Good points! But at the end of the day, I'm surprised it bothers the people that are trying to help, and find that issue psychologically interesting 3:).

Certainly in regard to the Philippines, it would arguably be more practical to search by individual, site or even Island rather than country. If you're planning a trip to any country, many (most?)people will research sites first and then the birds unless targeting a specific bird?

In regard to establishing which birds are tricky to iD, isn't that what a field guide is for and I think most people will quickly work out the problematic groups or species before they visit this site?

Certainly in regard to the Philippines, it would arguably be more practical to search by individual, site or even Island rather than country. If you're planning a trip to any country, many (most?)people will research sites first and then the birds unless targeting a specific bird?

In regard to establishing which birds are tricky to iD, isn't that what a field guide is for and I think most people will quickly work out the problematic groups or species before they visit this site?

It was an exemple, Andy, and you didn't raise my comment about helping Tanzania IDs.

Precisely, BF helped me too, through my searches, to select the islands I finally visited. Field guides give information, but not tell where birders are really based, and bird safely as an example. Then I can contact members based there are ask help.

I also advice many members that asked me about several countries. Ias that wrong ? o:)

It is difficult to deny that putting the name of the country is better. The question is : how to make it happens without discouraging some members...

It was an exemple, Andy, and you didn't raise my comment about helping Tanzania IDs.

Precisely, BF helped me too, through my searches, to select the islands I finally visited. Field guides give information, but not tell where birders are really based, and bird safely as an example. Then I can contact members based there are ask help.

I also advice many members that asked me about several countries. Ias that wrong ? o:)

It is difficult to deny that putting the name of the country is better. The question is : how to make it happens without discouraging some members...

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, there are plenty of 'where to watch' or 'where to find' guides and that is where most people start planning a trip?

Some birders will come here and ask for info on a particular site or the status of a bird at a certain site or any other number of logistical matters but that isn't done in the ID section?

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, there are plenty of 'where to watch' or 'where to find' guides and that is where most people start planning a trip?

Some birders will come here and ask for info on a particular site or the status of a bird at a certain site or any other number of logistical matters but that isn't done in the ID section?

"I'm not quite sure what you're getting at" is exactly what I wondered. So what is the problem to ask people to put country name in the title ?

"where most people start planning a trip?"

I guess having been 25 years full time professional birder/field ornithologist with photos of 6000+species make me different than most people ? :king:

Seriously Andy, I've the right to use the search tool on BF even if I'm the only one to do it... and admins will definitely agree. :-O

"I'm not quite sure what you're getting at" is exactly what I wondered. So what is the problem to ask people to put country name in the title ?

"where most people start planning a trip?"

I guess having been 25 years full time professional birder/field ornithologist with photos of 6000+species make me different than most people ? :king:

Seriously Andy, I've the right to use the search tool on BF even if I'm the only one to do it... and admins will definitely agree. :-O

I don't think there's any doubt about that but this thread is not all about you!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back