• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

70 Hobby's at Shapwick Heath NR !! (1 Viewer)

That would be something to see. I dont remember or never heard of hobbies gathering in such numbers say 10 or 15 years ago. Is their behaviour changing for some reason or is it just a large increase in hobby numbers in uk. Do they behave in the same manner in other European countries on the return from Afrca and are they adults who will disperse to their breeding territories or mostly non breeding subs? Just thinking out loud

I had 36 in the Stour Valley (Kent) a few days back. Over the last few years (6/7 at least) there have regularly been up to 40-50 birds present in early May (and once c70) in the area. They are best seen (albeit distantly) over Collard's lake along the ridge as you approach Stodmarsh village. They seem to feed exclusively on small insects and have never taken much notice of hirundines. They are indeed a tremendous sight and the frisson that you might just find a Red-foot amongst them only adds to the excitement,

That would be something to see. I dont remember or never heard of hobbies gathering in such numbers say 10 or 15 years ago. Is their behaviour changing for some reason or is it just a large increase in hobby numbers in uk. Do they behave in the same manner in other European countries on the return from Afrca and are they adults who will disperse to their breeding territories or mostly non breeding subs? Just thinking out loud

Hi Andrew,

70 is a good number, Hobbies have been on the increase in Britain for some decades now, I think.

These are most likely adult birds/pairs, just visiting the feeding area from their soon-to-be nesting sites, maybe an hour or more flying time away. The adult birds often leave their breeding areas on high level flights together for a couple of hours or more this early in the season. There will be younger birds amongst them, their numbers will increase as they are a little later arriving back here.

Regards,

Andy.

sounds like you could be overun with these birds soon,try and divert some towards scotland ,we will give them a very nice home:t:

Personally I think these really big gatherings are, as John suggests, pre-breeding gatherings when birds have just arrived from Africa. Later in the summer there will still be some Hobbies at Shapwick and Stodmarsh but not in the early May numbers. Good places to look for Red-foots at this time of year as well I suspect!

John

Read a report (Gloster Birder website) in the last week of 8 at New Fancy View in Gloucestershire which is a good number to be in one spot for a species which does not breed in the county (apparently).

yesterday according to Birdguides.

In Somerset somewhere.
It is indeed - and a cracking site. A few years ago I had a "Mediterranean moment" there. Little egrets, hobbies, great white egret, purple heron, osprey, cetti's warbler, all to a deafening chorus of marsh/pool frogs.

I was there on Saturday and there were a few around. But the gusty winds seemed to affect things badly. Some of the locals said there had been circa 40 around lately.

Marsh harriers there too. It's a nice spot.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back