• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler, western France (1 Viewer)

dragnil

The glass is half full, but the bottle is empty.
United Kingdom
I'm puzzled by this one seen last week near the Baie de l'Aiguillon near La Rochelle. I didn't recognise the song and that's leaning me toward Melodious Warbler but the pp seems a little long.
If it's something else please tell me why so I can get it right the next time (perhaps!).
I'm sticking my neck out here because in the past, when I've asked, "Is it A or B?" the answer has usually been "C" ...

Attachments

• _DLC2800.jpg
    _DLC2800.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 59
  • _DLC2802.jpg
    _DLC2802.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 32
  • _DLC2810.jpg
    _DLC2810.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 77
Hi Dragnil,
In this instance you are correct, it is indeed a Melodious Warbler. While the primary projection may seem long in the third image, it isn't markedly long when compared with the exposed tertial length. Also, while some spring Melodious can show an obviously pale secondary panel, inviting confusion with Icterine, the subject bird lacks this feature.
Regards,
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back