• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski New CL Companion 8x30, which version (1 Viewer)

Gary58

I have decided to order a pair of the new CL 8x30 binoculars and am trying to decide which accessory kit to order. Looks like the Wild nature is the regular case and strap that is included with their EL series. Any comments about the Urban Jungle or Northern lights versions? I really only use the case to protect the binoculars when traveling and do not generally use it as a fashion statement.

thanks

Thanks Andrew. That is the case I think I want but everyone is out of stock right now. Seems the Urban Jungle is easier to find. I may go ahead and order those. I use the Rick Young harness anyway.

Gary, if just using it for storing, then the Wildnature is a good choice as the two zips provide protection from dust and the like. The other two Urban Jungle and Northern Lights, I like them, as when out in field, they are silent and can be opened and closed with one hand. Only thing that may bug me is having the Urban Jungle's nylon strap rubbing in to your neck when hiking resulting in skin burns/chaffing..... But then again you use a harness, so all good!

I probably should be patient and wait for B&H to get more in stock. I agree the Wildnature would be better. I am curious to test these against my 8x32 EL's.

I probably should be patient and wait for B&H to get more in stock. I agree the Wildnature would be better. I am curious to test these against my 8x32 EL's.
I like the Wildnature case and strap combination the best also. They must have sold a lot of these to be out of stock already. You will find they will hold up well to your 8x32 EL's. The EL's will have a bigger FOV but the CL's have better flare control and for me easier eye placement.

Good to know Dennis. I am looking forward to seeing for myself. Have you by chance tried the 10x version? Wondering if that might be a good combo with my EL’s.

Neither Adorama or B&H had shown any of the six versions of this binocular to be in stock until I placed my order for the 8x30, anthracite, urban jungle. It took about a week for them to get it and then another few days for it to ship to me. Afterwards it became the only one of the six offerings to be shown in stock and is the same for both sites. I suspect the turnaround will be the same for the other 5 offerings. Give them a call or just place the order for what it is you want!!!

CG

Had a chance to try the 10x30 for half an hour or so yesterday. I expected to hate it, given that so far I never looked through a 10x30/10x32 I liked because of the small exit pupil. However, the 10x30 works quite nicely for me. I don't know how they did it but I didn't have the problems I usually have with binoculars with small exit pupils. OK, I still prefer binoculars with larger exit pupils (>4mm, ideally 6mm), but I found I didn't have any problems with the small exit pupil at all.

The ergonomics are just fine, and despite of the low weight for a 10x binocular, I found I can hold it very steady. About on a par with my Nikon 10x42 SE, the 10x binocular I can hold better than any other 10x I've used. The CL is one of the very few binoculars with thumb grooves that work with my hands. The optics are very nice indeed, I found I prefer them over those of the SV 10x32. I'm not really a flat field sort of guy it seems. Veiling glare was there but a lot lower than in the SV 10x32 (or, indeed, the SV 8x32). Not as good as the Noctivid in that respect, but not bad at all. Resolution, contrast and CA were all more than acceptable. Bright image for a 10x30 on a very gloomy day. It was *much* better than the Swaro 8x25 in every respect. No comparison really.

Very, very well made. Nice focuser, the best I've seen in a Swaro roof so far. Not too fast, I like that. The only thing I didn't like at all was the diopter adjustment. I guess the designers must have had a brain fart or something. Even just a couple of bright colour dots on the scale would have made the diopter adjustment quite a lot better. The Field Pro attachement for the strap ... Well, I don't like it much, I prefer the old, traditional system by far.

Given that neither Leica nor Zeiss seem to be in a hurry to make a Notivid 8x32/ SF 8x32 at the moment, I may well end up getting a CL at some stage. And, and that surprised me a lot, I'll probably go for the 10x30. I'm planning on doing quite a bit of hiking in the next few years, and on those trips I'll have my scope in the backpack and only use it if really necessary. 10x gives me some more detail on the bird compared to an 8x and can in my experience make the difference between getting an ID and not getting it. The low weight and the small size of the CL seem ideal for that. They're also small and light enough to put in the pack on days when I don't expect to do a lot of birding, say on family get-togethers.

Hermann

Herman,

What you are reporting matches my experience with the CL C 10x30 almost exactly. Since I haven't spent much time with the EL SV 10x30 (a few brief stints outside a store), I will not judge how those two would compare to my eyes, and as far as holding other 10x binoculars steady, I get a steadier image with the 10x42 IS L Canon withiout the IS engaged than I do with the Nikon 10x42 SE. Otherwise I'm in agreement.

I have also never liked 10x binoculars with less than 40 mm objectives, but with the CL C I thought that I could live with this - except that it has no stabilisation.

Kimmo

I ordered a pair of 8x30’s in Anthricite wild Nature accessories. I also threw in a pair of Vanguard edIi 8x32 to compare with. Thanks for your input.

Had a chance to try the 10x30 for half an hour or so yesterday. I expected to hate it, given that so far I never looked through a 10x30/10x32 I liked because of the small exit pupil. However, the 10x30 works quite nicely for me. I don't know how they did it but I didn't have the problems I usually have with binoculars with small exit pupils. OK, I still prefer binoculars with larger exit pupils (>4mm, ideally 6mm), but I found I didn't have any problems with the small exit pupil at all.

The ergonomics are just fine, and despite of the low weight for a 10x binocular, I found I can hold it very steady. About on a par with my Nikon 10x42 SE, the 10x binocular I can hold better than any other 10x I've used. The CL is one of the very few binoculars with thumb grooves that work with my hands. The optics are very nice indeed, I found I prefer them over those of the SV 10x32. I'm not really a flat field sort of guy it seems. Veiling glare was there but a lot lower than in the SV 10x32 (or, indeed, the SV 8x32). Not as good as the Noctivid in that respect, but not bad at all. Resolution, contrast and CA were all more than acceptable. Bright image for a 10x30 on a very gloomy day. It was *much* better than the Swaro 8x25 in every respect. No comparison really.

Very, very well made. Nice focuser, the best I've seen in a Swaro roof so far. Not too fast, I like that. The only thing I didn't like at all was the diopter adjustment. I guess the designers must have had a brain fart or something. Even just a couple of bright colour dots on the scale would have made the diopter adjustment quite a lot better. The Field Pro attachement for the strap ... Well, I don't like it much, I prefer the old, traditional system by far.

Given that neither Leica nor Zeiss seem to be in a hurry to make a Notivid 8x32/ SF 8x32 at the moment, I may well end up getting a CL at some stage. And, and that surprised me a lot, I'll probably go for the 10x30. I'm planning on doing quite a bit of hiking in the next few years, and on those trips I'll have my scope in the backpack and only use it if really necessary. 10x gives me some more detail on the bird compared to an 8x and can in my experience make the difference between getting an ID and not getting it. The low weight and the small size of the CL seem ideal for that. They're also small and light enough to put in the pack on days when I don't expect to do a lot of birding, say on family get-togethers.

Hermann

Hermann,

I've been looking thru the 8x30 CL and see very little bending in straight lines when off center and out to the edges; somewhat similar to the 8x32 Conquest HD but even less noticeable in the CL but still more pronounced than what I see in the EDG. It has me thinking flat field or flat field like but haven't heard any mention of it. Am I a bit distorted on this??? Is there a distinct measure for a view to be called a flat field???

Also, I too believe there is less flare with the CL than what I experienced with the 8x32 EL, and I haven't found any rolling-ball with the CL as I occasionally could with the EL.

CG

Last edited:
Which model Cl do you prefer

I have decided to order a pair of the new CL 8x30 binoculars and am trying to decide which accessory kit to order. Looks like the Wild nature is the regular case and strap that is included with their EL series. Any comments about the Urban Jungle or Northern lights versions? I really only use the case to protect the binoculars when traveling and do not generally use it as a fashion statement.

thanks

I just ordered the new 8x30 Cl B and went with the urban jungle package as my preferred method of carrying these binos is on the belt and the basic package case has no belt loops. I am anxious to see how these Cl's compare to my Nikon monarch 7 8x30 .

Gary, if just using it for storing, then the Wildnature is a good choice as the two zips provide protection from dust and the like. The other two Urban Jungle and Northern Lights, I like them, as when out in field, they are silent and can be opened and closed with one hand. Only thing that may bug me is having the Urban Jungle's nylon strap rubbing in to your neck when hiking resulting in skin burns/chaffing..... But then again you use a harness, so all good!

Is the Urban Jungle the only option that can be belt mounted? That appeals to be but the strap doesn’t seem as good. I presume the other two options don’t have the option to be belt mounted?

The only thing I didn't like at all was the diopter adjustment. I guess the designers must have had a brain fart or something. Even just a couple of bright colour dots on the scale would have made the diopter adjustment quite a lot better.

For me...this is a pretty unacceptable element of the Swaro and especially since they are charging a premium for this binocular. Supposedly, ....supposedly you only set your diopter once and be done with it, but for some reason, I find that depending on the time of day I am birding, my eyes etc that diopter might change. Attempting to use that diopter in the field, is difficult at best.

Hence....the Swaro is totally outclassed by other 'user friendly' binoculars with diopters that actually work quick and easy to do. If Swaro is going to put forth a product that is less than their competition (not to mention the 3 meter close focus issue), then they better charge less than they do and not expect the name itself to carry.

yes...yes...I know I will hear back from the 'edge to edge' folks and Swaro exceeds their but still, even with the 'edge to edge'....the poorly designed diopter and poor close focus is enough to balance it out.

....supposedly you only set your diopter once and be done with it, but for some reason, I find that depending on the time of day I am birding, my eyes etc that diopter might change.
Does it? I wonder. There's been some discussion here by WJC, Omid, and others regarding quirks of focusing in the interaction with the eye's own focus, which would also apply to diopter setting. Lately I've tried to be especially careful to keep a relaxed view during the process and let the knob do the work, and haven't yet been tempted to readjust. As more time goes by I may be more confident of that result. (None of which excuses the CL mechanism of course.)

Does it? I wonder. There's been some discussion here by WJC, Omid, and others regarding quirks of focusing in the interaction with the eye's own focus, which would also apply to diopter setting. Lately I've tried to be especially careful to keep a relaxed view during the process and let the knob do the work, and haven't yet been tempted to readjust. As more time goes by I may be more confident of that result. (None of which excuses the CL mechanism of course.)

A few weeks ago I was out birding and came across a blue bird nest etc... But not in focus~....so I readjusted the diopter. Later on that day towards dusk, I readjusted again as it was out of focus, or I thought.

What do you mean by keeping a relaxed view during the process etc.... I am not following, jim

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back