• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzard: New Forest, UK (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
I've been trying to get this ID'd on the Hampshire Birding Facebook page, but there is quite a disagreement! Common Buzzard or European Honey Buzzard? Taken yesterday.

Attachments

• European Honey Buzzard.jpg
    European Honey Buzzard.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 281
I've been trying to get this ID'd on the Hampshire Birding Facebook page, but there is quite a disagreement! Common Buzzard or European Honey Buzzard? Taken yesterday.

Looks long-winged, which favours Honey, but cannot pick up plumage detail.

Those favouring Honey on the facebook group are claiming it based off of the long wings and small head, whereas those favouring Common claim there should be a larger carpal patch and wing barring?

Can't say I noticed in the field, only a fleeting glimpse. The only reason I thought it might be different was because at the same time I heard an unfamiliar call (although it didnt seem to be coming from this bird). The impression I got was a large, pale buzzard

Hi all,
This bird is a pale 2nd calendar year Common Buzzard. The black carpal marking being in the shape of a 'comma', paler remiges and pale upperwing lesser and median coverts contrasting with darker greater coverts and remiges are all typical of paler Common Buzzard and I don't think this combination of features could ever be shown by Honey-buzzard. In addition, it looks a relatively stocky bird, bearing in mind that any Honey-buzzard in Europe in summer is overwhelmingly likely to be an adult.
Regards,
Harry

Honey in any age just wouldnt show this suite of underwing pattern - It lacks the cleaner oval shape of the carpel patch typical of Honey. The diffuse dusky trailing edge to the secondaries would age this as a 2cy which as Harry says, would make this even less likely to be HB. The video shows admittedly very high wing action but juveniles have slightly shorter wings so maybe thatโ€™s a compensation factor? What the video also shows is a fast and stiff wing beat, not the slower and deeper wing action of a Honey in active flight imo.

What the video also shows is a fast and stiff wing beat, not the slower and deeper wing action of a Honey in active flight imo.[/QUOTE]

The flight action tips it to Common for me. Colouration and pattern a problem, because taken from under trees into light, so overcooked. Observation of deeper beat - I reckon it's just taken off nearby.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back