• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can't view PDF files in Pale Moon (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
The last couple of weeks, if I download a PDF file in Pale Moon, it goes to the Download folder, as always.

But, then, when I click on it to get it open, it seems to be in a loop of just opening a new empty tab...... one after the other, after another, after another..... non-stop until I click on the 'stop loading' cross.

In Firefox, if I click on the PDF link, it immediately opens the file in a new tab.

In Pale Moon: (Alt) Tools, Preferences, Applications tab > click on 'PDF Document' and use the drop down menu to select the installed software you want to use to open pdfs.

Browsers opening pdf files natively is relatively recent (2011/12 iirc); pdf's have long been targeted by malware pushers so it's always been 'better' to use a secure pdf reader that's kept updated for this purpose.

Pale Moon did have a 'hidden' reader option for a time, this was removed in PM 27, maybe earlier than that.

I used to use Foxit Reader until it became too bloated from my liking, I've used Sumatra instead for the last 5+ years.

Thanks Andy.

However, I've tried and tried and tried again, but nothing seems to work. The only browser options are IE / Chrome, not Firefox. Can see Firefox listed if I "Browse", but the only option then is to "Open".

I did manage to get "Save" to stick and it saved the file to the desktop. But I couldn't open it, though I did manage to get it to open in Open Office but it was just gobbledegook!

OK Andy.... now you're gonna think me daft I'm sure.... but I just cannot see "pdf.js.xpi" in order to click on it!!!?

Must be missing something LOL.

And I've searched the Pale Moon Addons and all I can find there is :

Moon PDF Viewer
..... which Uses HTML5 to display PDF files directly in PM

I don't think Moon PDF Viewer is compatible (yet) with v28.

Can you follow this? If so, clicking on the xpi in Pale Moon should trigger a dropdown that asks whether you want to allow installation...

Attachments

• PDF viewer.jpg
    PDF viewer.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 36
For goodness sake.... how infuriating is that Andy..... I searched and searched that page and couldn't find that link. Then suddenly there it is!!!

Thanks Andy, OK I've now downloaded it. What now, will it just 'work'? Or do I have to do something?

If you've installed it in PM correctly, it'll show in (Alt) Tools > Add-ons > Extensions tab, where there's likely to be an Options button so you can set it up to your liking then test it by finding a .pdf online and 'open' (click) it.

... well it is in Extensions, but there's no Options button (one of only two of them that doesn't... the other is Blur).

Going to Preferences, the PDF Viewer isn't listed anywhere as an option for viewing PDFs.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back