• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pan Species Listers anywhere? (1 Viewer)

I found that issue in England in particular with counting trees...hard to tell what counts sometimes, so many species are non-native and often ornamental only.

I've always liked nature in general. With the purchase of my first digital camera in 2003 it became practical to assemble a collection of nature images. It took a while to settle on what to photograph and how to organize the photos. As an example, I used to organize birds by continent but some birds occur on multiple continents so that didn't work for me. I eventually settled on organization by taxonomy. I also had to limit what images I wanted to collect. I settled on birds, mammals, amphibians and reptiles, butterflies and moths, dragonflies, interesting insects and, Canadian wildflowers. Fish would gave been nice but I don't live near warm waters and I don't dive. The frustrating part is when some species are visibly identical and differentiation can only happen by a close examination of some features. In those cases I just use the one species.

Filing by name didn't work for me so for each category I devised a numbering system for the species so that the photos insert themselves into the proper location. This eliminates the drudgery of filing the photos. I maintain the numbering on spreadsheets for each category. Where possible the numbering and list is global but in some cases global lists do not exist i.e. butterflies and moths for which I use a workaround.

I shoot in RAW and save the images in folders by species. I have an identical JPEG folder system and that is where the developed keepers go. When I come back from an outing I dump all of the images into a transfer folder. The first pass is deleting all out of focus images unless it is a life image in which case I will keep it until I can take a better one. The next step is to edit the EXIF information and add location taken and GPS coordinates. The next step is to move the files into the species folders, add the English and Latin names to the EXIF data in the title and keywords sections. With my RAW developer I can edit the EXIF in batch so editing the EXIF does not take a lot of work. I also rename the files that I want to process to the species name and numbering.

I post the keepers to an online site. It acts as a backup but also has some nice features such as keyword search and mapping from the GPS coordinates in the EXIF data.

You can see the finished product and the categories I photograph on this page

http://paultavares.smugmug.com/Wildlife

To check out the mapping function click on the "Map this gallery" hyperlink text in any of the life gallery descriptions.

Paul

bird photo life list https://paultavares.smugmug.com/Wildlife/Birds/MyBirds/

One thing I like about this kind of listing, though I don't really pay attention to numbers, is how I can revisit a park I've been to 100s of times, and still find 14 species I haven't seen before.

Benefit is you don't have to specialize in everything, unless you are determined to get the highest numbers possible in which you will struggle if you don't work with all groups.

Seems like it is mostly a British hobby...although I expect plenty of people practice it, but don't associate their hobby by the name of "pan-species listing". So we'll never know.

Something I have experimented with is pan listing but without the requirement of identifying everything right away. That you can't identify, just describe it to the best of your ability. That way you can more quickly get an idea of the species diversity of a single site and not spoil your fun by spending too much time with tedious identifications. Plus if you take the time to properly profile what you are looking at you will know it better in the long run.

I've always found it better to work on IDs as soon as possible to avoid strenuous backlogs. At least to family level, anyhow. Once you hit family level things get much easier.

I feel the issue with waiting and doing descriptions is many species are variable, and what might look like 5 species could be just 1. Of course if you are dealing with hundreds of species, the difference between 1 and 5 is minimal, so it sounds reasonable there.

OK, I'm resurrecting this old thread, more as a reminder of my start point for 2017, as I expect this year to be a good year for new species: I'll be in the US for vacation in the summer, a country in which I currently have a grand total of 11 species (8 bird species, two mammals, one plant!).

So, the "score-on-the-doors" as of the start of this year:

Total: 1186

Birds: 476
Plants: 324
Arthropods: 208
Mammals: 65
Fungi: 46
Reptiles & Amphibians: 16
Fish: 11
Chromista: 7
Other animals: 30
Others: 3

End of year target: >1500

Travelling to a new region as a dedicated PSLer is great fun, although exhausting. I estimate I hit a good 500 new world species on my recent trip to the mid US.

Travelling to a new region as a dedicated PSLer is great fun, although exhausting. I estimate I hit a good 500 new world species on my recent trip to the mid US.

Wow! Really?!

I just got back from three weeks in Florida with my family, and reckon I added 90-100 species to my life list. Admittedly, I was mostly submerged in all things Disney, so didn't get a lot of time to explore the local wildlife. I added about 40 bird species, 30 insects, 20 plants and a handful of herps. I guess it didn't help that we stayed in a small region immediately around the Disney parks, so very little wilderness or habitat variety, and almost everywhere we went was very carefully managed gardens (so very few wild plants to be seen). But I would have needed to spend every hour of every day taking photos with my phone to add 500 new species!!

Doing [Higher Entity]'s work here and accidentally stepping on the "I understand this is an old thread, but want to reply anyway" button. Where are all of you hiding!?

As for me, I'm on track to 20,000, hopefully once 2023 rolls around, but that'll require some travelling. I think any visit to a super diverse region would do it (I'm looking at you Mediterranean and South Africa), but we'll see.

Not a Pan-lister but I am a Tetrapod lister...checking numbers I am at 1872 for my world list, and for the ABA area I am at 194. A trip to Ecuador this summer for birding should easily put me over 2000 for the world list. Beyond birds I will be targeting Andean Fox, Andean Rabbit, Spectacled Bear, Olinguito, Tayra, and Kinkajou and whatever random rodent/bats are around. No clue on herps since I seldom see people bring them up for this region.

I doubt I will do a lot of travel this summer beyond that, so my odds for new ABA area ticks are pretty limited. Probably herps are my best shot, but I completely whiffed on any sort of serious try this summer locally, where there are quite a few really cool species. Didn't do horrible in Florida...at least I finally did some successful road-cruising, even if diversity was limited.

I doubt I will do a lot of travel this summer beyond that, so my odds for new ABA area ticks are pretty limited. Probably herps are my best shot, but I completely whiffed on any sort of serious try this summer locally, where there are quite a few really cool species. Didn't do horrible in Florida...at least I finally did some successful road-cruising, even if diversity was limited.

My only productive cruising night in Florida was the one night that I had company. I went from several failed sessions in that state to a single afternoon with 11 species. Maybe there's a reason why I don't have much herp luck (that problem being me!!).

Ecuador sounds like a blast though. Are you going on a tour specifically? I've been trying to figure out the best way to hit a place like that, as I have not been to South America yet.

I am hiring a private guide, so I will be hitting the usual Mindo area destinations (basically my trip is sort of a modified version of the Tropical Birding Andes Introtour, although with cheaper accommodations).

I am hiring a private guide, so I will be hitting the usual Mindo area destinations (basically my trip is sort of a modified version of the Tropical Birding Andes Introtour, although with cheaper accommodations).

I must do some trips like that. All my other Californian friends have 2000+ world bird lists and the envy cannot last forever!
If you are looking for company to join, let me know!

OK, I'm resurrecting this old thread, more as a reminder of my start point for 2017, as I expect this year to be a good year for new species: I'll be in the US for vacation in the summer, a country in which I currently have a grand total of 11 species (8 bird species, two mammals, one plant!).

So, the "score-on-the-doors" as of the start of this year:

Total: 1186
Birds: 476
Plants: 324
Arthropods: 208
Mammals: 65
Fungi: 46
Reptiles & Amphibians: 16
Fish: 11
Chromista: 7
Other animals: 30
Others: 3

End of year target: >1500

Not checked in here for a long time, and it's amazing what difference 5 years makes...!

Total: 1186 2908 (+1722)
Birds: 476 579 (+103)
Plants: 324 844 (+520)
Arthropods: 208 1044 (+836!)
Mammals: 65 84 (+19)
Fungi: 46 153 (+107)
Reptiles & Amphibians: 16 42 (+26)
Fish: 11 48 (+37)
Chromista: 7 12 (+5)
Other animals: 30 93 (+63)
Others: 3 9 (+6)

Generally ticking along at 250-300 new species a year, although it gets more and more difficult as time goes by. But I have learnt a huge amount about my local flora and fauna in Northumberland (UK) - moth watching, beetle recording, botany explorations. It's also great to find interesting new places to explore wherever I go. This year is a bumper year, with close to 400 new species on my list due to a work trip to SE Asia in September.

Well this is exactly what iNaturalist is for - I am actually not using it for a bird list strictly speaking, because I want to use a different taxonomy and have a significant amount of non-documented birds seen/heard, but for everything else, I would be totally lost if it weren't presenting me with a simple way to organize my lists of anything alive. As a bonus, I get IDs from people for all the groups I don't understand. See my signature for my current totals :) (iNat allows any life, but we do only Animalia).

Yeah. I could not imagine keeping track of all this in a reasonable fashion without iNaturalist. And having the assistance from locals or global experts whenever I visit somewhere different is invaluable too!

I don't do pan listing as such, I don't often travel outside of Scotland, but I keep a list of all the species I can identify in the 1KM square I live in. I started doing that a few years ago when there was an online challenge about identifying 1,000 species in a 1KM square. Around 2/3 of my square is built up, but there's also some grassland and woodland which is predominantly pine, but with some mixed areas as well. The biggest species group for me is moths as I run a weekly moth trap in my garden in summer, then plants and birds. If I ever get to grips with fungi and lichens I'll probably just about get to the 1,000, but am currently languishing on 661. I also need to look at trees in more detail as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back