• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Natura, Countryman and Imagic difference (1 Viewer)

Hello. I'm considering to buy an ED 10x42 binocular. I already have an achromatic (but widefield and phase corrected) bino, but I go birding with my wife, so having two binoculars and a step-up in quality would be nice.

A secondary but important use is for astronomical observations, expecially when I hike in the mountains and the telescope is obviously too large to be carried around.

What are the differences between the Natura ED and the higher specs Countryman (about £100 difference) and Imagic (other £100 more)?

Riccardo,

The Natura has the narrowest view, the Countryman fairly pronounced field curvature, but is the sharpest in my opinion, and the Imagic, a shallower field curvature and larger sweet spot. They are all generally are a little lighter and more compact than the obvious competition. I can't say I've paid the 10x versions as much attention as the 8x, so can't say much about the finer details.

David

Hi Typo, thanks for your reply! However in the 10x42 the FOV is the same (105m @1000mt).
The Natura DX seems to have a very good price to quality ratio, and is very lightweight. I hope it is as bright as a Nikon Monarch.

Riccardo,

You are quite right, I recall now they completely changed the optical design when they reduced the Natura with the Natura ED. I know I was expecting more from the 8x42 when I tried it, but I never tried the 10x42.

David

The Countryman 8x32 was for some time my favourite pair of bins but that spec was discintinued and my eyes changed drastically leading me to opt for the Imagic 10 x 50 porro. Large,cumbersome looking but boy do they let a lot of light in. The 8x32 Countryman has been used in our recent bright weather as light seems to be a big deciding factor in my choice of optics. I am not sure why the 8x32 was dropped but it was,to me,a useful size of binocular and I would expect the 8 or 10 x 's to be similar.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back