• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Keep your cat inside during spring (3 Viewers)

I'm less interested in where the blame lies than doing something about those issues, such as free-ranging cats, where we both know what the problems are and how they can be relatively simply resolved. In this case, it's fairly simple - don't let your moggie out to kill wildlife, impose themselves on others' gardens, etc. Sorting out the more significant problem of human overpopulation is a lot harder but that doesn't mean we shouldn't address those issues that can be resolved.
:t:
:clap:

Dilemma time? A good neighbour runs a small registered charity that catches, treats and neuters primarily stray cats ( kittens, adults and some housed pets). All voluntary, no paid staff. Whilst many are rehomed, a fair few are returned to the area where they lived as feral. I am very aware of the impact cats have on wildlife.
So my question is, " Should I support the work they do, solely on the premise that they are trying to reduce the number of strays by doctoring, chipping and finding homes for these strays?"

Last edited:
Dilemma time? A good neighbour runs a small registered charity that catches, treats and neuters primarily stray cats ( kittens, adults and some housed pets). All voluntary, no paid staff. Whilst many are rehomed, a fair few are returned to the area where they lived as feral. I am very aware of the impact cats have on wildlife.
So my question is, " Should I support the work they do, solely on the premise that they are trying to reduce the number of strays by doctoring, chipping and finding homes for these strays?"

Even if they are let loose, they will (a) waste matings by uncaught ferals/loose pets etc; (b) try to hold territory and move on other strays etc and (c) eventually die without replacing themselves.

All these things are better than the status quo.

So while I believe they should actually be killed on capture, its worth supporting the efforts that are being made.

John

Some cats may be but mine sits next to me and I've had the robin eat the crumbs on the table and the cat begs me for the butter of my toast in the morning. Yes, I think I'll let the cat out as the birds fly about eating all the insects and dropping their nasties whilst the cat annoys me indoors and out. Why did I get a cat ? I would have been better just feeding the wild birds. Jackdaws have gone now my alarm clock is not as loud but the cat still knows to get up mamma it is feed me time. Oh and put water out for the birds because I drink it after they have a bath in it. They live in harmony here. Now that vole he brought in so pleased with himself ... I however want to kill them magpies for scaring off my blue tits. hmmm, The sparrow hawk thing for making a mess with a pigeon and me blaming the cat. Oh, keep the birds in the wild. Nature will do its best whatever. I love them all.

Don't let your cat kill any wildlife, including voles, and don't blame the birds for behaving as instinct teaches them to. That's nature. They scare each other away, and eat each other.

The poison bait that is being used in Australia causes the cat to go to sleep, permanently, and is relatively stress free. A free roaming cat is under constant stress as it seeks shelter and food and water and avoiding other predators. The Curiosity® bait for feral cats uses a new toxin called para-aminopropiophenone, or PAPP, which is considered best-practice world-wide. The cat's blood is unable to carry enough oxygen to the brain and the cat gradually loses consciousness.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back