• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phone skope for sigiscoping, fit Fieldscopes? (1 Viewer)

rdfish1

I tried to reach the company re this question but they are not particularly accessible. That tells me something in its own right. Anyway, looking at their site, I can’t determine whether there attachment will fit my field scope eyepiece or not. I measured both eyepieces and one is 1.36 inches in the other is about 1.65. Does anyone know whether their phone scope attachments will fit Nikon? Many scopes have much larger eyepieces and are probably more suitable but given the popularity of Nikon would like to think they have something that works.

I had the same frustration trying to figure out which product to order given that they don't include the Nikon eyepieces in their selection menu, only the scope body. Presumably, their recommendation is for the 20-60/25-75x zoom. The other Nikon eyepieces are not the same to it or each other. For those reasons, I turned my consideration to competing products. Here is one that is very inexpensive but also very versatile, easy to use, and quite robust. My students have used it heavily for the past year on a weekly basis.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0771HQY9M/ref=psdc_3426051_t2_B07CNL85TT

I also have the larger version which works better with other scope brands that have much larger eyepieces than does Nikon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CNL85TT/ref=psdc_3426051_t3_B0771HQY9M

--AP

Last edited:
Thanks AP. I was looking at the same Gosky product for a 663M + 20-60 eyepiece. I need to check if the diameter works. Your experience with the product gives me confidence in going forward with the Gosky.

Thank you for the suggestion. I ordered one of the godly based in your recommendation. Not sure it will work in the Nikon since my EP is not twist cup but rather a soft roll up style but will give it a try. I see eBay has a lot of first gen fgosky which I didn’t like but the link you provided to amazon is the second gen and seems much easier to align.

Also, I gave up on phoneskope. I emailed them 3 days ago and called and left a vm. No response. Hard to grow a business like that.

Last edited:
...Not sure it will work in the Nikon since my EP is not twist cup but rather a soft roll up style...

It will work if you bought the regular size adapter, which fits smaller eyepieces. You can fold down the eyecup, or else to get a more secure attachment, slip the eyecup off the eyepiece. I inherited one very old 20x eyepiece that is missing the extendable part of the eyecup (it broke off along the fold line) which makes it particularly suitable for attaching the adapter.

--AP

My kowa TE-9z 20-60x along with its eyecup attached appears to measure about 2 inches. I might have to go for the larger product as I don’t want to keep removing the eyecup. At >$35, it seems overpriced.

Compared to the phoneskope price is still pretty good at $35 but agree, pricing on the larger seems disproportionate to the smaller one. The smaller one is perfect for me and arrives Monday so will be interesting to see how well it works.

Just as an update on the $35 Gosky we purchased: we did get multiple chances to use it for both images and video. Although plasticky and fussy feeling compared to say a better built >$50 single phone / single scope specific Kowa adapters, we were able to use it with no issues not only on our Kowa scope, but also on our different binoculars with no problems.

Even though I still think it is overpriced at $35 (I think that about all adapters), because Gosky works and is still priced far less than others despite its generality, I definitely recommend it as an adapter.

I am continuously amazed at the costs associated with these digiscoping adapters - simple extension tubes with a T2 ring can cost north of ~$200! Perhaps, we should create a separate thread just to highlight cost-effective products! And Gosky should be on that list.

Thanks Alexis for the recommendation.

Just as an update on the $35 Gosky we purchased: we did get multiple chances to use it for both images and video. Although plasticky and fussy feeling compared to say a better built >$50 single phone / single scope specific Kowa adapters, we were able to use it with no issues not only on our Kowa scope, but also on our different binoculars with no problems.

Even though I still think it is overpriced at $35 (I think that about all adapters), because Gosky works and is still priced far less than others despite its generality, I definitely recommend it as an adapter.

I am continuously amazed at the costs associated with these digiscoping adapters - simple extension tubes with a T2 ring can cost north of ~$200! Perhaps, we should create a separate thread just to highlight cost-effective products! And Gosky should be on that list.

Thanks Alexis for the recommendation.

Yes, it's funny that it is priced so much higher than the smaller sized Gosky of the same overall design. Glad it is working for you. As you say, many adapters are quite pricey. With micro 4/3 camera, I use Novagrade and it is not cheap, but it is versatile, so maybe can be relatively low cost if you need lots of options. Interchangeable modular parts allow it to be used with many diameters of eyepieces, and with other cameras and lenses.

--AP

I own a ED50 and ED82 with the MC II and MC 30x eyepiece. Do you think the cheaper one of the two named gosky products is sufficient? I do not want to use the adapter for other scopes.

I own a ED50 and ED82 with the MC II and MC 30x eyepiece. Do you think the cheaper one of the two named gosky products is sufficient? I do not want to use the adapter for other scopes.

I don't have my scope in front of me to measure, but as shown in the link I posted previously, the smaller and cheaper adapter can fit eyepieces up to 68 mm diameter.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back