• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 300mm f/2.8 with 2 extenders (1 Viewer)

neocacher

Does anyone use the 300mm f/2.8 with 1.4x and 2x extenders in tandem? I hear it works well and AF is still possible. I read somewhere that is you mount the 1.4x first it only sees the 2x. Any comments appreciated!

I used my old 300/2.8 IS and my 7D with both converters and had some very good results but I always used a tripod with this combo. This combo gives 840mm (1344mm fov on the 1.6 crop Camera)
With stacked MkII converters you could indeed get AF as the Camera only saw the 2x tc so thought it was f5.6 - nowadays with the 7D2 being able to AF at f8 it should be no problem at all.
I will try and look out some old pics taken with the combo if you want.

I use my Canon 300 F2.8 L IS (Mk1) with both the 1.4 and 2 x Mk3 extenders on a 7D2 and 1DX - they work very well!

Naturally extenders do take a toll in low light and AF performance, but on this lens, it is not too much - so long as the light is reasonable they are quite happy together.

As to which extenders to use? I would avoid the 2 x Mk2 and get the Mk3 (much better) however with the 1.4 extender a Mk2 or Mk3 is just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back