• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

compressed air starling abatement solution (1 Viewer)

wshrimp

greetings bird people,

i'm seeking a solution to starling abatement in an attic bird box nest. my environs included flickers, small raptors and owls - western screechers i reckon, which i hope to attract to this nest.

someone with hardware and gizmo knowledge could help me a lot.

my idea is to insert a small flexible tube into the lower portion of my 24x10x9 inch nest box. (the nest box is mounted to the inside wall near the peak, just under the eaves, in my garage.) the tube can then drop straight down thru a vent in my garage ceiling, perhaps 12 feet of tubing. to this i can attach some kind of compressed air doohicky.

i fear the residues in over the counter air dusters (canned air) would be harmful to any bird so i'm trying to figure out a way to give any visiting starlings a BLAST of unsullied air. what might be the least expensive solution for air delivery? air compressors are kind of expensive...

of course the cheapest route would be to poke a funnel in the end of the tube and swear at'em but they'd probably swear right back.

all ideas are welcome...

ps: i installed this nest box late last spring - having seen a flicker alight near the very spot i installed the 3" entrance hole. regretfully starlings soon swarmed the cavity so i shooodem' out and covered the hole until just the other day.

wshrimp

I doubt you'll receive any constructive recommendations regarding spooking wild birds with a blast of noisy compressed air here on BF. Why do you think car workshops have danger warnings where they use pressurised air lines - how would you like it? Alternatively put out another nest box for the Starlings to use, it's called living with nature.
P

greetings bird people,

i'm seeking a solution to starling abatement in an attic bird box nest. my environs included flickers, small raptors and owls - western screechers i reckon, which i hope to attract to this nest.

someone with hardware and gizmo knowledge could help me a lot.

my idea is to insert a small flexible tube into the lower portion of my 24x10x9 inch nest box. (the nest box is mounted to the inside wall near the peak, just under the eaves, in my garage.) the tube can then drop straight down thru a vent in my garage ceiling, perhaps 12 feet of tubing. to this i can attach some kind of compressed air doohicky.

i fear the residues in over the counter air dusters (canned air) would be harmful to any bird so i'm trying to figure out a way to give any visiting starlings a BLAST of unsullied air. what might be the least expensive solution for air delivery? air compressors are kind of expensive...

of course the cheapest route would be to poke a funnel in the end of the tube and swear at'em but they'd probably swear right back.

all ideas are welcome...

ps: i installed this nest box late last spring - having seen a flicker alight near the very spot i installed the 3" entrance hole. regretfully starlings soon swarmed the cavity so i shooodem' out and covered the hole until just the other day.

wshrimp

I think that you may be surprised at the persistence of starlings. I had a pair that built a nest in the vent from my bathroom exhaust fan. They were undeterred by the period breeze through their abode.

Your nest location is also more attractive to starlings than it will be too your other target species. This will make them less likely to defend it against the starlings.

I have monitored kestrel nest boxes in the past. We would destroy any starling nests that we came across. It was a losing battle, they would almost always return to nest again. If it was a good nesting location for starlings that was the only thing that was going to use the nest. As far as the suggestion to put up a second box for the starlings, that is just going to get you two starling nests.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back