• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do Blackbirds find a second mate in middle age? (3 Viewers)

walkham

Since February 2018 we have enjoyed the company of two blackbirds that we have fed in the garden. Both seasons have seen them breed successfully. Unfortunately a few weeks ago the male died, having been struck by a car. The female remained with us and continued to enjoy live mealworms and sunflower hearts but following a trip away from home for a few days last week she is nowhere to be seen. We used to reckon that the birds recognised the sound of the car engine when we returned from odd trips and soon turned up!
Worst case scenario is that she has been predated or simply died. Though possible, we think this unlikely as she is clearly aware of possible predators, always casting an eye to the sky before venturing out of bushes. As the food on the table/feeders would have run out about three days before we returned, she could have re-located to somewhere else offering food and adopted that as her base.
My question, though, is whether our blackbird of probably a little under three years of age might have gone off in search of a replacement for the mate who died? Combined with this is the fact that two young males and a female have been quick to move in since we last saw 'our' blackbird a week ago. These and other birds seem to be thinking about pairing up and perhaps as a solitary bird they were able to take over her territory relatively easily.
Any thought or comments, please?
Thanks very much,
Steve

Have a look at this excellent colour-ring study of blackbirds https://holtblackbirdproject.wordpress.com/

There are many more blackbirds out there, your blackbird may be one of many.

"One of the really incredible outcomes of the project is an understanding of the sheer number of birds that use the garden during the breeding season. The greatest number of individuals recorded on one day was 74, and even then there were some unringed birds still present. So, next time you see ‘your’ pair of Blackbirds in the garden, remember that they may not be exactly who you think they are!"

Mono - Thanks very much for the link - an excellent website. Whilst I take your point and that made on the website that if blackbirds are plentiful they may be 'impersonating' others, that certainly wasn't the case with our pair. Their visiting times and behaviour were quite distinctive, right down to perching on the toolbox in my garage if I was working out there and ambling into the lounge if they found the back door open and felt hungry!
We rarely saw any others except at a distance or heard their calls as dusk was falling.
This morning, however, two young males seem to be tolerating one another, with a young female making odd visits. I'd post a picture or two but have to work out how (or indeed whether) that can be done.

Yes, some individuals can be recognised behaviourally (eg we have a particularly tame Robin).

The urge to mate is such that I'd be surprised if many species didn't find a new partner if they lose their old one.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back