• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any dipper sightings Somerset U.K. ? (1 Viewer)

dafydd

After a terrible year last year trying to photograph dippers, has anyone any suggestions in the Somerset, U.K area of where I may be able to get a photo'?
thanks,
Dafydd

The last few years I've had them at Wick along the A420 (might be Gloucstershire though), although can't be far outside Somerset!

The river is quite high and fast flowing at the moment though so haven't seen them this year.

Nige

You might think it was wick with them up there, but you'd probably dip . . . flat, low-lying area with no Dippers mapped :-O

Incredibly Dipper is my bogey bird in the county, not sure how I've managed to go two years without bumping into one! As a result I am probably not the best person to comment, but the two locations from which there are regular reports are the Axe just behind the Sainbury's in Cheddar, and the Axe just outside of the Wookey Hole car park. They are widespread and locally common (apparently!) so hopefully you should bump into one - best of luck!

Don't know your location, but if you're near Bristol, the river Frome in Bristol alongside Eastville Park to up past Snuff Mills is a good bet.

The last few years I've had them at Wick along the A420 (might be Gloucstershire though), although can't be far outside Somerset!

The river is quite high and fast flowing at the moment though so haven't seen them this year.

Nige
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread as I'm on holiday in Dyrham & just went for a walk along the River Boyd at Wick at Golden Valley LNR & found an immature Dipper 200m upstream of the A420 roadbridge. Thanks :)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back