• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rhinocryptidae (2 Viewers)

Krabbe, N. K., T. S. Schulenberg, K. V. Rosenberg, T. J. Davis, G. H. Rosenberg, P. A. Hosner, D. F. Lane, M. J. Andersen, M. B. Robbins, C. D. Cadena, T. Valqui, J. F. Slater, A. J. Spencer, F. Angulo & J. Fjeldså. 2020. Untangling avian cryptic diversity in the High Andes: revision of the Scytalopus [magellanicus] complex (Rhinocryptidae) in Peru diagnoses three new species. The Auk: in press.

Dare to hope that Ampay and Millpo Tapaculos are finally due to be described? I have no idea if those are in the Scytalopus [magellanicus] complex though.

If we're looking at not-yet described "magellanicus" type Tapaculos from Peru, I can think of 4 highland "forms" that could be involved, though there might be even more:

"Ampay" and "Millpo" Tapaculos as mentioned by CaliSteve, and "Ayacucho" and "Lambayeque" Tapaculos. I don't know if any fieldwork has been done on the "Lambayeque" birds, and I don't know anything about them.

Seeing Peter Hosner's name on this paper makes me suspect that Ayacucho would be the third likely taxon given that he did a lot of fieldwork in that area and I believe was the first person to document the birds.

Krabbe, N. K., T. S. Schulenberg, K. V. Rosenberg, T. J. Davis, G. H. Rosenberg, P. A. Hosner, D. F. Lane, M. J. Andersen, M. B. Robbins, C. D. Cadena, T. Valqui, J. F. Slater, A. J. Spencer, F. Angulo & J. Fjeldså. 2020. Untangling avian cryptic diversity in the High Andes: revision of the Scytalopus [magellanicus] complex (Rhinocryptidae) in Peru diagnoses three new species. The Auk: in press.

Available here:

https://watermark.silverchair.com/u...xdHdNlnU1rEFLO3hei6ZqjVi4jPUtXJ5AJMHbBCLhOzSV

The new species are:

Scytalopus krabbei sp. nov.
[T. S. Schulenberg, D. F. Lane, A. J. Spencer, F. Angulo, and C. D. Cadena]
White-winged Tapaculo

Etymology
The modern knowledge of the systematics of Scytalopus, including recognition of a level of diversity in the genus that would have astounded earlier generations of ornithologists, is largely due to Niels K. Krabbe, through his careful and thorough research both in the field and in the collection. Having himself contributed to the descriptions of no fewer than 7 new taxa of Scytalopus, we take great pleasure in taking the opportunity to name this new species in honor of our friend and colleague. The proposed English name refers to the small patch of white on the wing coverts, a feature—otherwise unusual in tapaculos—that is present on all known S. krabbei specimens.

Scytalopus frankeae sp. nov.
[K. V. Rosenberg, T. J. Davis, G. H. Rosenberg, P. A. Hosner, M. B. Robbins, T. Valqui, and D. F. Lane]
Jalca Tapaculo

Etymology
We are pleased to name this new tapaculo in honor of Dr. Irma Franke, our friend, colleague, former curator of the bird collection at the MUSM, and a major contributor to Peruvian ornithology for over 30 yr. It is especially fitting to name this taxon after her because she participated in the Millpo expedition that discovered the bird in 1985. The recommended English name uses a local Peruvian term for puna and páramo habitat (“jalca”) that has tussock grasses as a primary component, which was the habitat primarily used by the species at the type locality (although less so in Junín). Colloquially, this species has been called Millpo Tapaculo. However, we consider this name to be inappropriate, primarily because Millpo is now known to be at the geographic periphery of the range of the species. Our proposed English name is more reflective of the habitat of S. frankeae throughout its distribution.

Scytalopus whitneyi sp. nov.
[N. K. Krabbe, J. Fjeldså, P. A. Hosner, M. B. Robbins, and M. J. Andersen]
Ampay Tapaculo

Etymology
We take the opportunity to honor our friend and colleague Bret M. Whitney for his outstanding contributions to Neotropical ornithology over the past 3 decades. Bret’s keen eyes and ears, and his insightful attention to vocalizations and natural history, have given us a much greater understanding of variation and species limits in several challenging groups of tropical birds, and particularly in Scytalopus. The recommended English name refers to Bosque Ampay, the only protected area where the species occurs.

Fred

New Scytalopus taxa from the Peruvian Andes. (Upper left) Adult male and female of Jalca Tapaculo, Scytalopus frankeae from Huánuco. (Upper right) Male Scytalopus frankeae from Junín. (Lower left) Adult males of Ampay Tapaculo, Scytalopus whitneyi (left from Apurímac, right from Ayacucho). (Lower right) Adult male (top) and female (below) of White-winged Tapaculo, Scytalopus krabbei.
Watercolor painting by JF.

Attachments

• Scytalopus.jpg
    Scytalopus.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 66
I have no wish to dredge up old controversies, but find it revealing that Cinclodes lopezlanusorum López-Lanús, 2019, is slated, albeit correctly for many other faults also, because he appeared to have named the bird after himself. Scytalopus krabbei named by five of the fifteen authors in a paper by Krabbe et al., 2020, will, doubtless, be lauded and accepted by the scientific community.

I have no wish to dredge up old controversies, but find it revealing that Cinclodes lopezlanusorum López-Lanús, 2019, is slated, albeit correctly for many other faults also, because he appeared to have named the bird after himself. Scytalopus krabbei named by five of the fifteen authors in a paper by Krabbe et al., 2020, will, doubtless, be lauded and accepted by the scientific community.

I am no massive fan of yet more boring patronyms: and a big 3/3 here. However, if anyone deserves a Scytalopus patronym it's Neils Krabbe, for all his pioneering work with the genus.

Niels K Krabbe, Thomas S Schulenberg, Peter A Hosner, Kenneth V Rosenberg, Tristan J Davis, Gary H Rosenberg, Daniel F Lane, Michael J Andersen, Mark B Robbins, Carlos Daniel Cadena, Thomas Valqui, Jessie F Salter, Andrew J Spencer, Fernando Angulo, Jon Fjeldså, Untangling cryptic diversity in the High Andes: Revision of the Scytalopus [magellanicus] complex (Rhinocryptidae) in Peru reveals three new species, The Auk, , ukaa003, https://doi.org/10.1093/auk/ukaa003

IOC Updates Diary Feb 25

Post proposed three new Scytalopus tapaculo species based on Krabbe et al. 2020

I am no massive fan of yet more boring patronyms: and a big 3/3 here. However, if anyone deserves a Scytalopus patronym it's Neils Krabbe, for all his pioneering work with the genus.

Very much so - Neils Krabbe's work goes back many decades - I seem to recall using some of his recordings of Scytalopus on my first trip to Ecuador in the early 1990s. Without those, we wouldn't have had a clue which ones we were watching.

cheers, alan

Carlos Daniel Cadena and Laura N. Céspedes. Origin of elevational replacements in a clade of nearly flightless birds – most diversity in tropical mountains accumulates via secondary contact following allopatric speciation. BioRxiv. http://dx.doi.org/10.1101/606558

Cadena, C. D. & L. N. Céspedes. 2020. Origin of elevational replacements in a clade of nearly flightless birds: most diversity in tropical mountains accumulates via secondary contact following allopatric speciation. Pp. 635-659 in: Rull, V. & Carnaval, A. (eds.), Neotropical diversification. Springer, Berlin.

[pdf]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back