• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EOS1DX MkIII rumours, speculation, field test escapees, teasers & announcements (1 Viewer)

Headline Specs

Key specifications:

• Updated 20.1MP CMOS sensor with Dual Pixel AF
  • Digic X processor
  • HEIF 10-bit recording (supports HDR display at smaller-than-JPEG sizes)
  • 16fps bursts (viewfinder), 20fps bursts (Live View) with autofocus
  • All-new mirror mechanism to reduce vibration and blackout
    191-pt viewfinder AF system with new 'square pixel' design, 155 cross-type points, Face + head detection, sensitivity to -4 EV, all points support F8 shooting
  • Live View AF system is now 90% horiz / 100% vertical coverage with enhanced eye detection, sensitivity down to -6 EV, supports F11 shooting
  • New AF 'Smart Controller' built into the AF-ON buttons
  • 5.5K/60p 12-bit Raw video recording,
  • 4K/60p 4:2:2 10-bit H.265/HEVC recording
  • Dual CFExpress card slots for virtually unlimited buffer in most situations
  • CIPA rated to 2850 shots with the viewfinder, 610 with Live View using LP-E19 battery
  • Shutter rated to 500k shots

Chosun :gh:

Well it's not for me, I would have preferred more megapixels. As a stills shooter only, I don't seeing it bringing much to the table above the 1DX2 that I currently use.
My 1DX2 is, touch wood, cleared of the oil spray issue. I think it may have been over lubed to start with, I also turned it down to 10fps and it's been brilliant for some time now
I'm sure the 1DX3 will be an incredible piece of equipment and the jewel in the crown of what is the best all round camera system.

Well it's not for me, I would have preferred more megapixels. As a stills shooter only, I don't seeing it bringing much to the table above the 1DX2 that I currently use.
My 1DX2 is, touch wood, cleared of the oil spray issue. I think it may have been over lubed to start with, I also turned it down to 10fps and it's been brilliant for some time now
I'm sure the 1DX3 will be an incredible piece of equipment and the jewel in the crown of what is the best all round camera system.
The ~1.4kg body only is at least twice as much as I want to be lugging around, so I've primarily been interested in the tech and strategic business battle - and also have high hopes of a little brother 7D III spinoff.

I understand that not having a genuine 24MP is very disappointing (it will make no difference to some others). [EDIT]: the answer can be found on page 41 of the Stills White Paper in the following post ..... apparently Canon Pro's are so good that they don't need the extra 4MP compositional crop ability ! :)
Sony is at 24MP with it's a9II , I hope that's at least where Nikon lands too.

The AF system on this new IDX III is the most advanced Canon DSLR example so far. I will be interested in how it stacks up in practice, and how it measures up to the Nikon D5, let alone the D6 ...... :cat:

Last edited:
The ~1.4kg body only is at least twice as much as I want to be lugging around, so I've primarily been interested in the tech and strategic business battle - and also have high hopes of a little brother 7D III spinoff.

I understand that not having a genuine 24MP is very disappointing (it will make no difference to some others). [EDIT]: the answer can be found on page 41 of the Stills White Paper in the following post ..... apparently Canon Pro's are so good that they don't need the extra 4MP compositional crop ability ! :)

The AF system on this new IDX III is the most advanced Canon DSLR example so far. I will be interested in how it stacks up in practice, and how it measures up to the Nikon D5, let alone the D6 ...... :cat:

The af on the 1DX2 is exceptional, It's far more customisable than the Nikon system and some folk either don't or won't get the best from it because of this. I usually find that af failures can either be put down to my operator error or me asking too much of it. It's a bonus if the 1DX3 has improved af but it wouldn't justify the cost for me. Neither do I need the extreme speed, connectivity or video specs.
I'll sit on what I have and wait for the 5D5, no rush. If I don't fancy that, the gear I have will suffice for many more years.
Mike.

The af on the 1DX2 is exceptional, It's far more customisable than the Nikon system and some folk either don't or won't get the best from it because of this. I usually find that af failures can either be put down to my operator error or me asking too much of it. It's a bonus if the 1DX3 has improved af but it wouldn't justify the cost for me. Neither do I need the extreme speed, connectivity or video specs.
I'll sit on what I have and wait for the 5D5, no rush. If I don't fancy that, the gear I have will suffice for many more years.
Mike.

Agree with MJN here, the upgrade from the 1DX2 doesn't warrant me splashing out more cash on what is a hobby. I do though think the added connectivity is an attractive proposition but wonder why it wasn't made available in the 1DX2 when the 5D4 at half the price has it all and was launched just 6 months later.

Canon advertising from DPReview - interesting promotional video of the 1DX III in action specifically photographing birds:
https://m.dpreview.com/articles/7223608242/birding-with-the-canon-eos-1d-x-mark-iii

Can't say that I'm a fan of all the perch setups and feeding though - is a photograph really worth that impact ? may as well go and photograph caged circus animals ..... :-C

Now you really have me wondering if you take avian pictures at all?
In fact do you actually ever get your hands on any of the equipment you pass judgement on or do you simply read through rumours and specifications and make comments based on other peoples opinions?
Time you started sharing some hands on experience and a few photos then I'll start taking notice again about what you have to say.

Now you really have me wondering if you take avian pictures at all?
In fact do you actually ever get your hands on any of the equipment you pass judgement on or do you simply read through rumours and specifications and make comments based on other peoples opinions?
Time you started sharing some hands on experience and a few photos then I'll start taking notice again about what you have to say.

I don't understand your question in terms of the link I posted (sponsored content), or what I wrote. If you can explain in a way that I will better understand, I will see if I can help out with a response ..... :cat:

I don't understand your question in terms of the link I posted (sponsored content), or what I wrote. If you can explain in a way that I will better understand, I will see if I can help out with a response ..... :cat:

His post looks very unambiguous to me.

At the risk of passing on non-firsthand experience.... Jared Polin has a fairly extensive 1dx3 review and compares it side-by-side with a9ii shooting sports. He seems to be a fan of it, as he can shooting it like a mirrorless and get AF points everywhere -- albeit with a hood -- at 20fps even with mechanical shutter (no banding!). The buffer is leagues beyond the a9ii writing to sd cards. He shot a burst of over 100 photos of a basketball player and said only 11 were slightly off focus, not that he's promoting shooting 100 photo bursts.

So it looks promising that Canon could come out with some competitive sports/action mirrorless in the near future.

marc

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back