Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Withymoor - Amblecote, Stourbridge.....

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 393 votes, 4.90 average.
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 21:12   #1401
matt green
Norfolkman gone walkabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingthunder View Post
6 hours in the field to be precise

No new species of Spring migrant were recorded unfortunately

Laurie
Only managed 4 hours today myself during my alloted exercise session around Clent and Walton Hill, was hoping for a little something around the well known Wheatear/Ouzel paddock but nothing!!

Only the thought of plodding through the centre of Stourbridge puts me off a walk over to Bellsmill area along the canal and possible up to Gothersley Rough, plus the stream of sweated joggers/mountain bikers throwing out spittle in all directions!

Maybe I'll find a quiet corner of Stourbridge crem and count Colld Doves

Matt

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Yesterday, 00:16   #1402
Dick-E-Dipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Andrews View Post
With the greatest respect Laurie, how is spending 5.5 hours out exercising in line with the Government's guidance on Covid to "even when doing these activities, you should be minimising time spent outside of the home"?
I have NO respect Laurie, I see you`ve increased to 6 Hours.

In a nutshell GET-Off your bike and stop at home like the rest of the responsible birders

Dont bother responding
Old Yesterday, 07:40   #1403
rollingthunder

I am following guidelines which is open to interpretation and as it is my thread i will respond whenever i like👍🏻

I am exercising common sense which is something i suggest others do.

I also suggest that you save your invective for dickheads like these

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-52047532

I have been railing against these tog idiots for quite a while. A % of the current crop of newbie birders, mainly older people with time/money/car etc, contribute nothing and take whatever they can. This personally has led to me becoming even more insular, if that is possible, in my dealings when out in the field. I find i have to ‘weigh up’ approaching birders and decide whether to even acknowledge their passing presence and whether to ‘shoot the breeze’ with them or will they demand info e.g. ‘what’s about’? The advent of social media has been a double-edged sword and i owe it to nobody to pass on information and will be circumspect, even with birding friends, on exact details of breeding species in particular. You only have to read about the wall-to-wall braindead at a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker site in Wyre - no wonder they are scarce

Elsewhere on this forum a well-known patch-worker and twitcher puts a case that joggers and cyclists pose more of a risk than does a twitcher in a car who stands a couple of yards (we have left the EU btw). Lone twitchers in a one-person car driving miles with their smartphones and GPS are hardly the poster boys for small carbon footprints and are unlikely to be on St Greta of Thunberg’s Xmas card list

Garden birds are fine, i still have a feeder up, but let’s face it not much happens - might as well set up a webcam and fast forward to the ‘action’

As for Stourbridge - it’s like a set from a science fiction movie. Virtually everything is closed. What will all the ‘seats’ at all the haidressers, nail bars and tanning salons do? Not a legal PAYE employee exists at any of the 20 or so premises in the Town. Hopefully these money-laundering franchises will go to the wall - karma or what

Good birding -

Laurie
Old Yesterday, 09:13   #1404
Pam_m

Your posts are shameful Laurie!

'Flying High' My Blog

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Yesterday, 10:09   #1405
rollingthunder

No shame here Pam - oh and nice to hear from you

As i have already stated please save your ire for the idiots chasing a Ring Ouzel instead of finding their own...

Laurie -
Old Yesterday, 10:13   #1406
rollingthunder

A Warbler in a Willow and a Capped Black.....

Only 4 hours in the field yesterday...

The weather is forecast to change and altho pressure will remain high it is centred over Scandinavia thus the winds will be in the North. This will curtail my activities, good news in some quarters, the birding conditions will be the deciding factor and not any Hectoring Cassandra's on here or elsewhere - 2 words derived from the Trojan War so hopefully something has been imparted today

It is of note that the Worcs Wildlife Trust has closed its reserves to not only the general public but members as well. A shame as at this time of year it is virtually an alternative postcode for one or two regulars and i look forward to seeing what is moving there as i consider it a barometer for local seasonal movement. For those seeking a bit of daily exerecise there are Public footpaths in the vicinity where a scope could be set up whilst en-route to do your shopping...

8-10 would have found me at Fens Pools - looking good but still no cigar! I was hoping for a wader sp or possibly some recently arrived Sand Martins but it was Chiffies just into double figures. The Williams pool drew a blank but last Spring produced 3 Wheatears and 6 spp of singing Warbler on the same visit so it has to be checked. Back via the 9 Locks where a smart Willow Warbler was feeding in an area of mainly dwarf Sallows interspersed with Blackthorn. These 2 species are worth targeting as they are an important source of nectar early in the migrant season I normally click with Blackcap before WW so it was an unexpected surprise and a reward for a bit of effort.....and flak! The Delph flats were scoured for Peregrine but no sign altho there have been 2 birds reported over the Autumn/Winter. Withymoor held 4x LBB. CC's were absent from a day ago so it shows how ephemeral these birds are when recently arrived - they are 'hot to trot'.

The now regular 4 mile round trip to Wordsley Basin yielded nothing. I decided to take the Dog further to the Bells Mill bridge. Dippers nest upto half a mile either side so it is worth 15 mins to see if you catch a moving bird. A singing male was present in February and the do breed every year somewhere in the vicinity. Upon departing my ears pricked up with a scratchy song that turned into a robust affair revealing a smart male Blackcap - first of the season 3 for the day

Finished with a toodle around local fields from Churchill to Hagley noting an occupied Sparrowhawk nest recently refurbished but drew a blank on 2 Raven sites one of which had a Buzzard rearranging the bedding.

Good birding -

Laurie
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: